Snowskin Mooncakes Recipe Birthday Mee Sua (Longevity Noodles) Recipe Mum's Egg Mee Sua Recipe Traditional Baked Mooncakes Recipe Ottogi Korean Cheese Ramen Foochow Red Wine Mee Sua Recipe

Sesame Oil Chicken

Sesame Oil Chicken Recipe

Check Out: Ginger Scallions Chicken Recipe

One day, I was walking past my neighbour’s home along the corridor and my paparazzi nose picked up an amazing aroma and I knew what it was instantly – sesame oil chicken (麻油鸡). This makes me crave for this simple childhood dish and I simply couldn’t get the dish out of my head. I asked my mum how she cooked hers last time and she taught me her simple recipe over the phone. When I tried out the dish, my whole house was also filled with the wonderful aroma which I experienced walking past my neighbour’s home. The aroma of the sesame oil and ginger is so familiar and so therapeutic. Best of all, this is a simple dish which is easy to prepare with minimal key ingredients – just chicken, sesame oil and ginger.

Sesame Oil Chicken Recipe

75 Responses to “Sesame Oil Chicken”

1. mycookinghut — September 26, 2010 @ 3:39 am

I could almost taste it through my screen!! This is a nice one!

2. Rack of Lam — September 26, 2010 @ 1:06 pm

Wow that looks really good, almost like store-bought. Drizzle that sauce on top of some rice and top it off with the chicken – perfect meal!

• wiffy replied: — September 28th, 2010 @ 1:28 pm

oh yes, the sauce to me is the good part … I waste not a drop of it for drizzling on my rice or even “drink” on its own :P

3. Little Inbox — September 26, 2010 @ 8:58 pm

I seldom cook sesame oil dish at home, as it tends to make my kitchen oily. But I love sesame oil dishes, including this. Usually my mom will cook for me when I go over for lunch. :)
    Noticed that you add so little of soy sauce. Was it salty enough?

• wiffy replied: — September 28th, 2010 @ 1:19 pm

yes definitely salty enough for me, and I tend to like salty food. maybe because the recipe did not use a lot of chicken and water :)

4. Trissa — September 26, 2010 @ 9:43 pm

Hi Wiffy -this seriously looks amazing… such a simple dish to prepare too – I’d love to give it a go this week.

• wiffy replied: — September 28th, 2010 @ 1:20 pm

Hope you’ll enjoy it :)

5. Jess @ Bakericious — September 27, 2010 @ 2:18 pm

Wiffy, I love this dish, my mil always cook for us, yum yum.

• wiffy replied: — September 28th, 2010 @ 1:17 pm

lucky of you to have someone cook this for you :)

6. judy — September 27, 2010 @ 4:57 pm

mmmmm… so simple yet so good. everything good in food really boils down to the essentials and especially those with memories of childhood and family

7. shirley@kokken69 — September 27, 2010 @ 5:18 pm

I love anything with sesame oil. You know what I crave for now?…. Pork liver soup with ginger, sesame oil and chinese wine… don’t know why – seeing your dish reminds me of that!

• wiffy replied: — September 28th, 2010 @ 1:16 pm

same type of comfort food. now you reminded me of another “forgotten” childhood fave. Must make that soon too! ;)

8. Angie's Recipes — September 27, 2010 @ 5:46 pm

Sesame chicken….what a nutrients-loaded and delish treat!

9. Christine@Christine's Recipes — September 27, 2010 @ 7:09 pm

Love the aroma of sesame oil chicken. I can eat a big bowl of rice with this dish. :)

10. Nate @ House of Annie — September 27, 2010 @ 7:32 pm

Canned mushrooms have that “tinny” flavor. I prefer shiitake or oyster mushrooms

• wiffy replied: — September 28th, 2010 @ 1:15 pm

also they are very slippery so I don’t like the texture hehe