Pandan Waffles Recipe Fermented Bean Curd (Nam Yee) Chicken Wings Recipe MyKuali White Curry Noodles Easy Waffles Recipe Samyang Fried Chicken Ramyun Air-fried Vegetarian Zai Er Recipe

Sausage Baked Rice

Hotdog Baked Rice
Delicious sausage baked rice for a lazy Saturday

I had a lazy (but totally enjoyable) Saturday and stayed at home to play Prince of Persia the whole day instead of going out or doing anything useful. Hence no time for fancy meals, but one still got to eat ;) So I made a whole tray of baked rice where B and I had for both lunch and dinner. It was sooooo delicious that even though we had it for two meals straight, B and I still fought over the remaining portions, and towards the end, B scraped the tray even though there was nothing left. The recipe is actually based on my earlier chicken and mushroom baked rice (just swap the chicken and mushroom for sausages) which many readers had tried and left some really good feedback about the recipe. So I guess this recipe is really foolproof having been tried and tested by quite a few people ^_^ I’m going to make seafood baked rice next time. I tried a few other variations before and this sausage one is really good. Do buy nice sausages (those gourmet type that you pan fry for breakfast, they are usually refrigerated and go by weight – I bought cheese & pork sausages – NOT those frozen dark brown type that are used for bbq or canned ones).

Hotdog Baked Rice
Yummy
sausage baked rice with lots of mushroom sauce and cheese

Ingredients
(Serves 4-6)

- 1 1/2 cups uncooked rice
- Water to cook rice
- 5 garlic cloves
- 200g sausages, sliced (I use the gourmet type of sausages such as chicken cocktail)
- 15g butter (or use olive oil for healther version: reader suggestion)
- generous tablespoons mushroom soup (I use Campbell’s, straight from the can – no need to mix with water or cook)
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese (about 150g)
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese (about 150g)
- Salt & Pepper
- Parsley (garnishing)

Directions
1. Wash and rinse uncooked rice until water runs clear.
2. In a heated wok or saucepan, melt the butter. Add the washed rice, salt and black pepper to taste. Stir well.
3. Wait for the rice mixture to cool, then transfer to a rice cooker. Add the garlic cloves. Add water to cook rice (I use slightly more than 1 1/2 cups of water – adjust the water amount according to your cooker).
4. When the rice is cooked, stir in the cut sausages. Portion out the rice into oven-safe baking dishes (you can also use disposable aluminium tray) until about half the depth of the dish.
5. Smear some mushroom soup sauce on top of the rice, and topped with a layer of shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheese.
6. Baked in a pre-heated oven at 200C (392F) for about 20-25 minutes, or until all the cheese has melted and is very slightly browned. Garnish with parsley if desired.

Hotdog Baked Rice
Ultimate comfort food

More baked rice recipes:
- Chicken and Mushroom Baked Rice
- Hawallian Baked Rice
- Broccoli, Potato and Sausage Baked Rice

78 Responses to “Sausage Baked Rice”

1. yht — July 25, 2010 @ 1:39 pm

Hey! May I know where to get Shredded Mozzarella Cheese and Shredded Cheddar Cheese? :)

• wiffy replied: — July 25th, 2010 @ 2:01 pm

you can find them at all supermarkets, such as NTUC and Cold Storage. Usually at the fridge section where they place the cheeses, butter etc

2. Sal — August 11, 2010 @ 3:40 pm

First baking experience and succeed!! YEAH!!! Thanks for easy-to-follow recipe! Will definitely try it again. Will not add salt to melted butter and will presoak sausages in future to reduce saltiness though…

• wiffy replied: — August 18th, 2010 @ 5:07 pm

did you use those sausages in the can? Glad to hear your first baking attempt is successful :)

3. Joanne~ — August 13, 2010 @ 3:20 pm

I changed the sauce to jap curry , and it tastes pretty good :D THANKS FOR YOUR RECIPE :D

• wiffy replied: — August 18th, 2010 @ 5:08 pm

that’s really creative. You gave me an idea to make curry version :D~

4. Leh Hong — October 28, 2010 @ 1:39 pm

Do I need to cook or steam the sausages first?

• wiffy replied: — October 29th, 2010 @ 10:32 am

no need. They are already cooked. then u place it with the cooked rice and then bake in oven, it will be warmed :)

5. Lionel — October 31, 2010 @ 4:06 am

Hello,

just tried your receipe but added mushrooms too and used carbonara pasta sauce instead of cream of mushroom.. came out really good! Can’t wait to try the rest of your other receipes.
    Thanks!

6. Bless — January 24, 2011 @ 11:35 am

I just tried this last weekend. Added some mushrooms to complement the sausage and it turned out fantastic!!! All my friends love it! Can wait to try your other recipes. It’s was so easy to do too. Thanks thanks!

7. Net — June 21, 2011 @ 2:00 pm

Hi Wiffy,
    I will be cooking the baked chicken rice for dinner tonight. What do you think if I add some sausages, ie combination of the chix and sausages together in the baked rice ?
    Thank you.

• wiffy replied: — June 21st, 2011 @ 3:54 pm

sounds good to me, more variety. Hope you like your dinner tonight :)

8. AL — October 24, 2011 @ 3:21 pm

Hi, just happen to go into your blog and find it very interesting. Anyway would like to know can I cook the rice by steaming it instead of using rice cooker. Please advice. Thanks

9. Radhikamenon84 — January 7, 2012 @ 3:27 pm

Hello… this should be 5th or 6th time I am reproducing this dish in my kitchen. Today again I am cooking it for some guests. I think it is high time I said “Thank You” :) By now I have made quite some variations of this dish. Thanks again.

• IanT replied: — April 10th, 2012 @ 2:46 pm

Hey! thanks! what a wonderful recipe.
      i made it early in the morning for my girlfriend :)
      She really enjoy it,im so happy :)

10. Emy — June 4, 2012 @ 10:18 pm

Thanks for a great recipe. Altho I did vary it with the ingredients I had on hand. Used light sour cream instead of Campbell’s mushroom soup, and also beat an egg into the rice mixture before baking. Turned out yummy!!

• wiffy replied: — June 7th, 2012 @ 8:58 am

love the tweaks you made, it does sound yummy!