Som Tam (Papaya Salad) Recipe Cincalok Egg Recipe Sambal Okra Stir-fry Recipe Beef Bulgogi Recipe Multigrain Rice Recipe Ssamjang Recipe

Sausage Baked Rice

Hotdog Baked Rice
Delicious sausage baked rice for a lazy Saturday

I had a lazy (but totally enjoyable) Saturday and stayed at home to play Prince of Persia the whole day instead of going out or doing anything useful. Hence no time for fancy meals, but one still got to eat ;) So I made a whole tray of baked rice where B and I had for both lunch and dinner. It was sooooo delicious that even though we had it for two meals straight, B and I still fought over the remaining portions, and towards the end, B scraped the tray even though there was nothing left. The recipe is actually based on my earlier chicken and mushroom baked rice (just swap the chicken and mushroom for sausages) which many readers had tried and left some really good feedback about the recipe. So I guess this recipe is really foolproof having been tried and tested by quite a few people ^_^ I’m going to make seafood baked rice next time. I tried a few other variations before and this sausage one is really good. Do buy nice sausages (those gourmet type that you pan fry for breakfast, they are usually refrigerated and go by weight – I bought cheese & pork sausages – NOT those frozen dark brown type that are used for bbq or canned ones).

Hotdog Baked Rice
Yummy
sausage baked rice with lots of mushroom sauce and cheese

Ingredients
(Serves 4-6)

– 1 1/2 cups uncooked rice
– Water to cook rice
– 5 garlic cloves
– 200g sausages, sliced (I use the gourmet type of sausages such as chicken cocktail)
– 15g butter (or use olive oil for healther version: reader suggestion)
– generous tablespoons mushroom soup (I use Campbell’s, straight from the can – no need to mix with water or cook)
– Shredded Mozzarella Cheese (about 150g)
– Shredded Cheddar Cheese (about 150g)
– Salt & Pepper
– Parsley (garnishing)

Directions
1. Wash and rinse uncooked rice until water runs clear.
2. In a heated wok or saucepan, melt the butter. Add the washed rice, salt and black pepper to taste. Stir well.
3. Wait for the rice mixture to cool, then transfer to a rice cooker. Add the garlic cloves. Add water to cook rice (I use slightly more than 1 1/2 cups of water – adjust the water amount according to your cooker).
4. When the rice is cooked, stir in the cut sausages. Portion out the rice into oven-safe baking dishes (you can also use disposable aluminium tray) until about half the depth of the dish.
5. Smear some mushroom soup sauce on top of the rice, and topped with a layer of shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheese.
6. Baked in a pre-heated oven at 200C (392F) for about 20-25 minutes, or until all the cheese has melted and is very slightly browned. Garnish with parsley if desired.

Hotdog Baked Rice
Ultimate comfort food

More baked rice recipes:
- Chicken and Mushroom Baked Rice
Hawallian Baked Rice
Broccoli, Potato and Sausage Baked Rice

78 Responses to “Sausage Baked Rice”

1. pigpigscorner — September 17, 2009 @ 3:25 am

nothing beats cheese baked rice! too bad my hubs doesnt like it =(

• wiffy replied: — September 17th, 2009 @ 8:21 am

He don’t like cheese? We are mad about cheese here ;p

2. Cooking-Gallery — September 17, 2009 @ 3:26 am

This recipe sounds quite easy to make. It’s good to find some easy, stress-free recipes, since I don’t have that much time to cook anymore that my holiday is over – I am sure I will try this sooner or later…

3. Gera @ SweetsFoods — September 17, 2009 @ 7:20 am

I make usually a similar dish and really is a perfect comfort food full of flavors :)
    It looks impressive!

Cheers!

Gera

4. The Little Teochew — September 17, 2009 @ 8:54 am

No wonder you both fought over the dish ;) Easy to see why!

5. B — September 17, 2009 @ 9:25 am

When can we have this again? :D

6. Cookie — September 18, 2009 @ 1:18 am

What a yummy and easy dish! I have some Rice A Roni in the pantry that I think might work too. I can’t wait to see your seafood version!

• wiffy replied: — September 18th, 2009 @ 10:59 am

I’ve never heard of this rice but it sounds like an interesting rice to use for baking :)

7. Jessica — September 18, 2009 @ 2:20 am

WOW! This looks amazing! I’ve been baking more and more with cheese and trying out different cheese breads. Often, I don’t know what to do with the leftover cheese, and this seems like a yummy solutions!

• wiffy replied: — September 18th, 2009 @ 11:08 am

Nice site you have! Yea u can toss your leftover cheese for the topping and experiment with different types of cheese :)

8. gertrude — September 19, 2009 @ 5:15 am

This is such a great one pot meal.

9. juhuacha — September 20, 2009 @ 2:22 am

Can I skip the 2nd step of frying the rice and just cook it in the rice cooker?

• wiffy replied: — September 20th, 2009 @ 8:12 am

hi juhuacha, there is more aroma if you fry the rice with butter, but yes you can use readily cooked rice if you’re pressed for time.

But for the other baked rice recipe I linked, it’d be better to fry the rice with the chicken and mushrooms or they may not cook well in the oven :-)

10. skinnymum — September 20, 2009 @ 6:08 pm

i just made this for dinner and it yummy… hubby and 2 girls wiped out everything within record time. alll i heard was ” superb mummy”, “so good, finger lickin good”, “spot on, dear!”, etc, etc. other than increasing the rice to 2 cups, and sausages to 250g, i followed your recipe even the cooking time. just prefect, as always. thanks ALOT for sharing.

• wiffy replied: — September 21st, 2009 @ 5:19 pm

It makes me happy to hear that your family liked the recipe. It’s my family favorite too. Thanks for your kind words :-)