MyKuali White Curry Noodles Easy Waffles Recipe Samyang Fried Chicken Ramyun Air-fried Vegetarian Zai Er Recipe Ipoh Hor Fun Recipe Durian Cream Puff Recipe

Sambal Kangkong

Sambal Kangkong Recipe

Check Out: Sambal Belacan Recipe

Sambal kangkong (马来风光) is one of my favourite local veggie dishes. It’s quite easy and healthy (using olive oil) to whip up this dish at home, not to mention cheap as a packet of kangkong only cost around S$1. Besides kangkong, I’ve also tried cooking with spinach and it tastes great too. The spicy chilli paste is so addicting with white rice.

Sambal Kangkong Recipe

32 Responses to “Sambal Kangkong”

1 2 3
  1. Jun — November 26, 2010 @ 12:29 am

I heard that the Pulau Pinang Belacan is one of the best! I wish I can lay my hands on some! Beautiful pictures!

• wiffy replied: — November 26th, 2010 @ 12:54 am

Oh I didn’t know it is famous … I just grabbed it randomly from the supermarket shelves… guess I was lucky hehe ;)

2. Miss Tam Chiak — November 26, 2010 @ 7:20 am

Sambal kang kong is my favorite! I fry it with lotsa small shrimps! (but I’m always too lazy to make my own belachan. I always buy those ready made bottles and then further process it! Haha)

• wiffy replied: — November 26th, 2010 @ 10:55 am

Actually it’s a great idea too … I saw your sambal kangkong before it looks so good!

3. Pepy @Indonesia Eats — November 26, 2010 @ 10:58 am

Love kangkung terasi belachan :) I can eat this lots with rice :)

4. Lydia Teh — November 26, 2010 @ 11:08 am

My hb’s all times favourite. I always toast the belacan first before pounding it with other ingredients, it stinks when toasting but the finish product tastes really good. Your sambal kangkung looks healthy cos those selling outside are very oily.

• wiffy replied: — November 26th, 2010 @ 1:41 pm

I toasted the belacan first too… forgot to mention it. Stink up the whole kitchen but worth doing so! :)

5. emy@thehandiworks — November 26, 2010 @ 7:50 pm

My hubby adores this but I never really managed to get the cooking right. He always complains that the stalks are still a little *raw* while the leaves are wilted and that the flavours are not infused.

Any suggestions?

• wiffy replied: — November 29th, 2010 @ 12:07 am

Like I mentioned in step 1, if you’re cooking both stalks and leaves, you can stir fry the stalks first for a few minutes, before adding the leaves as they cook much faster. See if this works.

6. wyyv — November 26, 2010 @ 8:07 pm

This dish must smells good and delicious :) I like this dish a lot!

7. Tastes of Home (Jen) — November 27, 2010 @ 12:52 am

this is such a classic belacan dish! love this hehe

8. The Sudden Cook — November 27, 2010 @ 8:40 pm

Great photos….This is one of the earliest dishes I learnt to cook several years ago…you can also use ‘belacan granules’ if u don’t wanna buy the entire piece:D

• wiffy replied: — November 29th, 2010 @ 12:07 am

haven’t seen these granules here before, would love to try if I can get my hands on them :)

9. Ching @ LCOM — November 28, 2010 @ 3:16 am

Yummy! One of my favorite veggie dish!

10. mycookinghut — November 28, 2010 @ 3:35 am

You are making my favourite dish!! :)

1 2 3