Sambal Fried Beancurd with Sugar Snap Peas
Sambal Fried Beancurd Recipe
Belacan is pungent smelling. Open your windows and remove all laundry (if you have them in the kitchen) when you’re making this dish.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 tbsp sambal belacan (you can use ready made ones as well)
- 80g sugar snap peas gently break off the ends and pull off the "strings"
- 1 piece (200g) of fried bean curd (tau kwa/炸豆干) cubed
- 2 tbsp water
- salt to taste
(A) Dried shrimps paste
(finely chop or pulse in electric grinder for a few seconds)
- 1 tbsp dried shrimps soaked in water until softened
- 5 shallots peeled
- 5 garlic cloves peeled
- In a wok, heat the oil. Add (A) and sambal belacan. Stir fry briefly until you can smell the aroma.
- Add snap peas and stir fry for a minute or two. Then add beancurd and water. Stir fry for a few minutes and mix well, until the water has evaporated, and everything is nicely coated in the sambal sauce.
- Season with salt if needed. I did not add salt because my home made sambal belachan is already nicely salted. Serve with steamed rice.