Snowskin Mooncakes Recipe Birthday Mee Sua (Longevity Noodles) Recipe Mum's Egg Mee Sua Recipe Traditional Baked Mooncakes Recipe Ottogi Korean Cheese Ramen Foochow Red Wine Mee Sua Recipe

Sambal Belacan

Sambal Belacan Recipe

Check Out: Sambal Tumis Recipe

A bottle of homemade sambal belacan (belachan) – a handy condiment to have. I am a self confessed sambal belachan addict. Now that I started making my own sambal belachan chilli, there is no turning back for me. It is such a handy condiment to keep in the fridge – you can add a little to any dish for some heat and it’s a nice chilli condiment for almost any Asian dish such as fried bee hoon and fried rice.

Sambal Beancurd with Sugar Snap Peas Recipe

You can use it for stir-fries (pictured above), or fry it with some dried shrimps, garlic and shallots for a more Chinese version of spicy dried shrimps, or more commonly known locally as hae bee hiam. Making your sambal belachan is really easy since there is no cooking involved (except for toasting the belacan beforehand). Mine is the simple version where there is no prolonged frying of the paste involved. It stores in the fridge for slightly more than a week.

58 Responses to “Sambal Belacan”

1. daphne — June 16, 2010 @ 9:19 pm

You brave brave girl! That looks sooo good. I could almost smell it!

2. 3hungrytummies — June 17, 2010 @ 11:59 am

Can’t do without this! Great styling!

3. beachlover — June 18, 2010 @ 10:48 am

I like your version of sambal belacan,less oily.I remember my mom like to make this version when we have festival..usually I like this version with fried ikan kembung and Ju hu char! just thinking make me drooling!!

4. Sara — September 24, 2010 @ 4:05 am

Oooo just looking at these pics makes my mouth water! Unbelievable. I love love love sambal belacan! Would love to make these once i find all the ingredients locally or when I travel to more asian populated places! I hope my angmoh neighbours will learn to appreciate the fragrance when it’s in the making! =D

I just stumbled upon your website today. Very happy to find it!

• wiffy replied: — September 24th, 2010 @ 1:08 pm

Thanks for your kind words. I hope your find the ingredients! Who knows, maybe your ang moh neighbours will learn to appreciate this condiment and next time ask you to make for them ;)

5. GL — October 18, 2010 @ 8:32 am

A good and less smelly way of frying is to wrap the belachan in foil first then fry. You can toast it in your toaster using this technique but as a precaution make sure you turn off the toaster first before and after toasting.

6. JC — October 26, 2010 @ 8:24 pm

Hi, my aunt usually makes sambal belacan but she doesn’t add the limes yet. She makes a lot then keeps it in the freezer. It lasts for a long time. When you want to use it you just take some out then add the lime juice then.

• wiffy replied: — October 26th, 2010 @ 11:50 pm

sounds like a great tip for freezing sambal belacan. Thanks for sharing :)

7. gongCrazee — March 24, 2011 @ 3:20 am

Ooohh…. The wonderous taste and smell of the sambal belachan. It goes well with anything, even adds taste to the usually bland and awful MRE (meals ready to eat) army issue. Used to smuggle a bottle of it for jungle training during my NS days and it is really a lifesaver for someone like me who enjoys a good meal.

8. Brandy — September 1, 2011 @ 12:58 am

Hi, I failed doing the sambal Belacan. Mine turned out black !!! and taste awlful !!! pretty sad… may I ask if there is any particular brand belacan to buy ? Thank you :)

9. Melissa — March 18, 2012 @ 1:48 am

Where can I get belachan in Sg?

• wiffy replied: — March 18th, 2012 @ 9:25 am

You can find it readily at local supermarkets.

10. Indra — April 9, 2012 @ 3:43 pm

Hi, how long do you toast the belachan?

• wiffy replied: — April 9th, 2012 @ 7:20 pm

Hi, toast until you smell the pungent aroma. It will also be very flaky & crumbly when you break it in two with a spatula.