Summer Rolls Recipe Pumpkin Soup in Pumpkin Bowl Recipe Teh C Peng "Special" Recipe Gula Melaka (Palm Sugar) Sambal Quail Eggs Recipe Braised Ee-Fu Noodles Recipe

Sambal Belacan

Sambal Belacan Recipe

Check Out: Sambal Tumis Recipe

A bottle of homemade sambal belacan (belachan) – a handy condiment to have. I am a self confessed sambal belachan addict. Now that I started making my own sambal belachan chilli, there is no turning back for me. It is such a handy condiment to keep in the fridge – you can add a little to any dish for some heat and it’s a nice chilli condiment for almost any Asian dish such as fried bee hoon and fried rice.

Sambal Beancurd with Sugar Snap Peas Recipe

You can use it for stir-fries (pictured above), or fry it with some dried shrimps, garlic and shallots for a more Chinese version of spicy dried shrimps, or more commonly known locally as hae bee hiam. Making your sambal belachan is really easy since there is no cooking involved (except for toasting the belacan beforehand). Mine is the simple version where there is no prolonged frying of the paste involved. It stores in the fridge for slightly more than a week.

58 Responses to “Sambal Belacan”

1. Jun — June 14, 2010 @ 3:44 pm

What a coincidence! I just made my very first Indonesian version of Sambal Belacan yesterday. A lot of frying and oil involved in ours. Very messy. I will try yours.

2. MaryMoh — June 14, 2010 @ 4:02 pm

Wow…this looks addictive! Would be so cook to cook with everything and eat with everything!

3. Judy — June 14, 2010 @ 5:21 pm

Ah dui! Nothing like home-made sambal and better still if it’s done by pestle and mortar.

4. Alice — June 14, 2010 @ 5:34 pm

Wow! Sambal Belachan…. our Malaysian all time favourite! I must have this with my nasi lemak! :)

• wiffy replied: — June 17th, 2010 @ 5:42 pm

I think nasi lemak belachan chilli has a slightly different concoction though you can use this too :)

5. Nur — June 14, 2010 @ 5:45 pm

Hi, I am a noob at cooking, so how do you toast belacan in a dry pan?

• Nancy Anniss replied: — June 15th, 2010 @ 9:08 pm

Hi, you could also toast your belacan in a microwave for less than a minutes on medium temperature. At least by doing it this way the whole house won’t be so smelly especially in a cold climate place whereby kitchen window are closed

• wiffy replied: — June 15th, 2010 @ 10:11 pm

Thanks so much for sharing the tip Nancy, good to learn a new way of toasting the belacan. I’ll try it out!

Nur, for toasting it in a dry pan method – I heat up a pan, then place the belacan on it. Let it warm up for a few minutes. Some people also fry it till it crumbles and flakey, for me I just warm it.

6. Trissa — June 14, 2010 @ 6:20 pm

I only recently discovered sambal belachan – I wish I had discovered it sooner! It is indeed a lovely condiment – I am not sure if I would have ever considered making this at home but what you said about not going back to store bought has definitely inspired me.

7. It sounds easy. I should make my own sambal belachan next time. I wonder where I can get belachan here.

8. norma — June 14, 2010 @ 9:13 pm

Thisis very interesting and looks tasty. Thisis new to me and I must try it. Thank you!

9. peachkins — June 14, 2010 @ 10:18 pm

I would have to try this real soon!

10. This condiment is great, it’s always good to have something readily available in the fridge and homemade of course.