Sambal Belacan Recipe
A little warning though - your kitchen will smell kind of pungent when you make sambal or when you cook with sambal - but to me, a small price to pay for something so delicious.
Serves: a small bottle
Prep Time: 10 mins
- 5 finger length chilli deseeded
- 3 chilli padi aka bird's eye chilli (no need to deseed - for the heat; to taste)
- 30g belachan toasted in a dry pan
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3/4 tbsp lime juice from small limes (calamansi)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- A mini blender/food processor OR mortar & pestle
- In a blender, grind chillis and belachan. You can also pound the ingredients using a mortar & pestle.
- Transfer blended paste to a small bowl. Add sugar, lime juice and salt to taste. Stir to mix well. You can store the chilli in refrigerator for one week or so. It can be used as a chilli condiment or in stir fries.
Noob Cook Tips
- Wear disposable plastic gloves when de-seeding chilli to prevent chilli burn.
- If you do not have calamansi, you can substitute with larger lime or lemon (though I think calamansi gives it the best taste).
Leave a Comment
58 Responses to “Sambal Belacan”
Pingback: Sambal Long Beans Recipe | NoobCook.com
Pingback: Lemongrass Tea Recipe
Pingback: Sambal Long Beans Recipe