Summer Rolls Recipe Pumpkin Soup in Pumpkin Bowl Recipe Teh C Peng "Special" Recipe Gula Melaka (Palm Sugar) Sambal Quail Eggs Recipe Braised Ee-Fu Noodles Recipe

Salted Vegetables and Duck Soup

Salted Vegetables and Duck Soup 咸菜鸭肉汤
Salted Vegetables and Duck Soup

This is one of my favourite Chinese soup. To me, a delicious salted vegetables and duck soup must not just be salty, it has to be hot and peppery as well. In my version, the heat comes from the white peppercorn, red chilli and ginger. Salted vegetables may not be the most healthy vegetable in the world, but this sure is tasty and an absolute guilty pleasure of mine!

Salted Vegetables and Duck Soup 咸菜鸭肉汤

Ingredients
(Serves 4-6)

- 1/2 duck (roughly 1 kg), chopped to big pieces, skin removed & fats trimmed
- 300g salted vegetables, cut to smaller pieces (if you want, you can soak in water for about 10 minutes to reduce the saltiness; but I don’t)
- 2 large red chilli, cut into half lengthwise, seeds removed
- 2 tomatoes, quartered
- 4 cardamons, coarsely crushed (optional, see last photo)
- 1-2 tsp white peppercorn, coarsely crushed
- 20g of ginger, bruised or make cuts all over
- 1.7 litres of water

DSC_2045_ingredientsv2Salted Vegetables and Duck Soup 咸菜鸭肉汤
Ingredients: Cut salted vegetables, chilli and tomato

Directions
1. Blanch duck pieces in boiling water for 5 minutes to remove scum. Rinse under cold water and set aside.
2. In a deep soup pot, add water, blanched duck, salted vegetables, cardamons, white peppercorn and ginger. Bring to a boil.
3. Lower heat and add tomatoes. Simmer over low heat for about an hour. Taste the soup; it’s usually not necessary to season with more salt, but if needed, you can season with a tiny bit of light soy sauce. Serve with warm white rice and if you like, cut chilli padi in dark soy sauce as condiment.

Further ideas from comments -

- Add some pork ribs (200g, blanch with the duck pieces at step 1) to make the soup tastier. (thanks @ keropokman)
- Add cube tofu pieces to the soup about 5-10 minutes before you turn off the flame for 咸菜豆腐鸭汤. (thanks @ gertrude)

Cardamon
Ingredient: Cardamon

69 Responses to “Salted Vegetables and Duck Soup”

1 3 4 5
  1. Pauline — May 30, 2012 @ 6:00 pm

Hi,

I tried this recipe for the first time today. I’m amazed with the result! My hubby loves it. His taste buds have been pampered by his mum’s fantastic culinary skills. It’s an achievement for me. :)

I used 1.5 tsp of peppercorns and my daughter finds it too peppery but it suits my hubby. I think I’d just use 1 tsp in future. :)

Thanks so much to the details in your easy-to-follow recipe.

• wiffy replied: — May 31st, 2012 @ 12:39 am

Thanks for trying out the recipes … so happy to hear that your family likes them :) happy cooking!

2. Michelle — July 31, 2012 @ 10:31 am

Thanks so much for this recipe!
    My husband has been buying this soup from a soup stall near our place a few times a week. Clearly a favourite of his. So I’m gonna surprise him tonight by making this! From the list of ingredients, I can almost tell it is gonna be better than the stall near us!

Thanks again!

3. Spencer — August 15, 2012 @ 11:10 pm

This is the easiest dish to make just throw everything in but I use a pressure cooker instead. Nice clear soup you made, sometime I skid the first step. Mostly the same ingredient as yours minus the cardamon and peppercorn. However to make it tastier, I add Kross Chicken cube, smooth tofu and canned button mushroom.

4. Saeran — March 12, 2013 @ 5:18 pm

Tried this recipe over the weekend and I must say it is like the ones I have outside!
    Is such a comfort soup, especially when one has a mild flu.

Thanks for sharing this great recipe :D

• wiffy replied: — March 14th, 2013 @ 4:20 pm

great to hear, thank you!

5. Shirley Koh — April 2, 2013 @ 11:44 am

can u pls email me tis salted vege duck soup recipe?thanks..

6. Vion — July 14, 2014 @ 5:09 pm

Hi Wiffy,

Can i omit the chillies, white peppercorn and cardamon all together? As i only cooked once in a while and all this things comes in alot….

Can i change the duck to pork?

• wiffy replied: — July 15th, 2014 @ 5:15 pm

You can skip the cardamon, but personally I will not omit the chillies and white pepper as I love the heat in this soup. Yes, you can chang to pork. Feel free to adapt the recipe to your preference.

1 3 4 5