Tuna Pasta Recipe Dijon Honey Chicken Wings Recipe Beef Claypot Rice Recipe How to Make Grated Ginger Juice Ginger Grater Singapore Char Kway Teow Recipe

Salted Vegetables and Duck Soup

Salted Vegetables and Duck Soup 咸菜鸭肉汤
Salted Vegetables and Duck Soup

This is one of my favourite Chinese soup. To me, a delicious salted vegetables and duck soup must not just be salty, it has to be hot and peppery as well. In my version, the heat comes from the white peppercorn, red chilli and ginger. Salted vegetables may not be the most healthy vegetable in the world, but this sure is tasty and an absolute guilty pleasure of mine!

Salted Vegetables and Duck Soup 咸菜鸭肉汤

Ingredients
(Serves 4-6)

- 1/2 duck (roughly 1 kg), chopped to big pieces, skin removed & fats trimmed
- 300g salted vegetables, cut to smaller pieces (if you want, you can soak in water for about 10 minutes to reduce the saltiness; but I don’t)
- 2 large red chilli, cut into half lengthwise, seeds removed
- 2 tomatoes, quartered
- 4 cardamons, coarsely crushed (optional, see last photo)
- 1-2 tsp white peppercorn, coarsely crushed
- 20g of ginger, bruised or make cuts all over
- 1.7 litres of water

DSC_2045_ingredientsv2Salted Vegetables and Duck Soup 咸菜鸭肉汤
Ingredients: Cut salted vegetables, chilli and tomato

Directions
1. Blanch duck pieces in boiling water for 5 minutes to remove scum. Rinse under cold water and set aside.
2. In a deep soup pot, add water, blanched duck, salted vegetables, cardamons, white peppercorn and ginger. Bring to a boil.
3. Lower heat and add tomatoes. Simmer over low heat for about an hour. Taste the soup; it’s usually not necessary to season with more salt, but if needed, you can season with a tiny bit of light soy sauce. Serve with warm white rice and if you like, cut chilli padi in dark soy sauce as condiment.

Further ideas from comments -

- Add some pork ribs (200g, blanch with the duck pieces at step 1) to make the soup tastier. (thanks @ keropokman)
- Add cube tofu pieces to the soup about 5-10 minutes before you turn off the flame for 咸菜豆腐鸭汤. (thanks @ gertrude)

Cardamon
Ingredient: Cardamon

67 Responses to “Salted Vegetables and Duck Soup”

1. keropokman — January 13, 2010 @ 2:00 pm

I like this soup!

When we do it at home, we also add in some pork ribs to the soup. It makes it tastier. Maybe it’s because we are used to that flavour :-)

• wiffy replied: — January 14th, 2010 @ 10:57 am

That’s a really good idea – think I’ll add some pork ribs to my duck soup next time. Thanks for sharing the tip :-)

2. Rosabela — January 13, 2010 @ 5:04 pm

This looks and sounds fabulous for a cold winter day here in Hamburg!

3. Pei-Lin — January 13, 2010 @ 11:13 pm

*Screaming* You know what, you just tortured me with this soup before bedtime! This is a fave of mine!! Interestingly, I first had it years ago at a Nyonya food restaurant in Melaka … I never knew it’s 100% Chinese!?

Pei-Lin

• wiffy replied: — January 14th, 2010 @ 10:58 am

not sure if it’s 100% Chinese, but I’m sure it’s 100% Asian. I think all ethnic groups have their own twist and version :) hehe sorry for the torture lol, I always crave for food before bedtime too :D

4. Rasa Malaysia — January 14, 2010 @ 12:27 pm

This is the soup that my family always makes for festive seasons and prayers. Love the rooster bowls, I got some too, my sister brought them from Penang to me. Going to use them in my cookbook hehe.

• wiffy replied: — January 14th, 2010 @ 2:04 pm

your cookbook is going to be awesome, I’m really looking forward to it :)

5. Edith — January 14, 2010 @ 6:59 pm

My favourite but I have no chance to drink this coz hubby doesn’t like duck!

6. beachlover — January 16, 2010 @ 2:13 pm

this soup is one of my favourite soup.I remember my mom must cook this soup for prayer..I think it’s Hokkian lang soup,right?

7. wendyywy — January 29, 2010 @ 12:06 am

The best version I’ve tasted uses roasted duck. It gives the soup a wonderful aroma.

It’s my first time hearing about using cardamons in this soup. Thanks for the tip. maybe I’ll try this next time. :)

8. Jessica Ang — September 9, 2010 @ 6:02 pm

Hi. Where u bought the chicken picture bowls from ? thanks

• wiffy replied: — September 13th, 2010 @ 9:45 am

I bought them from a shop on the 3rd level of people’s park complex. It’s in the center (open area) selling quite a bit of crockery and cutlery.

There are many places in Singapore that sells these chicken bowls actually. Look for those traditional shops (usually they also sell household items). I’ve seen them also at china town, beach road area, bedok, ang mo kio…

• Jessica Ang replied: — September 14th, 2010 @ 11:43 am

Hi Wiffy,

wow cool.. Thanks for your reply. I will go there and check it out this weekends.
        u must have a lot of crockery stored at home..

• wiffy replied: — September 14th, 2010 @ 12:19 pm

have fun shopping. I hope you find what you’re looking for. Oh yes, I have too much crockery at home >_<

9. Meowmee — September 25, 2010 @ 3:31 pm

Hi Wiffy, do u know how to make the salted veg which u can usually order with bak kut teh? Btw, I love all your recipes… :)

• wiffy replied: — September 25th, 2010 @ 6:32 pm

sorry, I haven’t made that before. hehe

10. Steven — August 24, 2011 @ 11:04 am

Hi,
    I want to say a big THANK YOU!!

My Giam Chye Ar recipe is same as yours minus the Cardamon (I also added sour plums and Tofu and I also didn’t remove the skin and fat cos’ I really like the unhealthy version :-p). I also transferred the soup to a slow cooker after boiling for 2 hours.

The white pepper seeds actually subdue the strong duck odour but I have never thought of Cardamon!!

I actually wanted to try out another curry dish, Hainanese curry. I just can’t get the taste I wanted and I believe Cardamon is one of the key ingredients that give Hainanese curry the unique taste.

Thank you!!