Kimchi Nabe (Hot Pot) Recipe Banana Strawberry Smoothie Recipe Chinese Minestrone Soup Recipe Claypot Chicken Brown Rice Recipe Lo Mai Gai Recipe 10-Minute Matcha Latte Recipe

Salted Vegetables and Duck Soup

Chinese Salted Veg Duck Soup Recipe

First posted in Jan 2010, updated in Sep 2016.

Get this recipe on the next page >

Salted vegetables duck soup (咸菜鸭汤)  is one of my favourite Chinese home-cooked soup. Its salty savoury taste makes the soup addictively appetizing (开胃).

See Also:

Salted vegetables may not be the most healthy vegetable in the world, but this soup makes a tasty home treat once in a while!

Salted Veg Duck Soup Recipe Szechuan Vegetable Duck Soup Crock Pot Slow Cooker

Just like Sichuan veg duck soup, I followed my mum’s tradition of using a slow cooker (crockpot) to cook this soup. Duck meat takes a longer time to cook than other meats like chicken, so the slow cooker is really useful for this recipe. With the slow cooker, one doesn’t have to spend hours watching the stove and topping up the water constantly.

Salted Veg Duck Soup Recipe Salted Veg Duck Soup Recipe Salted Veg Duck Soup Recipe

To me, a delicious salted vegetables duck soup must not just be salty, it has to be mildly hot and peppery as well. In my version, the heat comes from the white peppercorn, red chilli and ginger (pictured above).

Chinese Salted Veg Duck Soup Recipe

You know this soup is done when the duck meat is so tender that it just falls off the bones when it is gently touched with chopsticks.  After simmering in the crock pot for hours, the soup is rich and delicious.

72 Responses to “Salted Vegetables and Duck Soup”

1. jo — January 12, 2010 @ 9:33 pm

Oooh .. I love this soup. Give me a bowl of rice with it and you’ll see me grinning from ear to ear :P

2. gertrude — January 12, 2010 @ 10:54 pm

My late grandma used to made this soup for us but she never put any cardamon to it. This is something new to me. We also like to add tofu to the soup.

• wiffy replied: — January 14th, 2010 @ 10:52 am

tofu cubes is a nice touch to the soup. I shall add them next time I make the soup :-)

3. Petite Nyonya — January 12, 2010 @ 11:06 pm

I absolutely love this soup!! So good to be back visiting your blog. My whole family loves this soup too. We didn’t use cardamoms so this is interesting and new to me. I’m sure it enhances the taste and aroma. Thanks for sharing.

• wiffy replied: — January 14th, 2010 @ 11:00 am

It’s good to see you back in action! Yes I think the cardamons are a nice touch to add if you have it in your pantry already.

4. diva — January 13, 2010 @ 12:18 am

whey!! this used to be my favourite soup, apart from black chicken herbal soup and my mum’s sweet chestnut and fig soup when i was a kid. i loved going out to soup restaurants for this and finding a whole duck drumstick in it :) oh sweet times. thanks for putting up this recipe and making me feel so happy reminiscing those good times. x

• wiffy replied: — January 14th, 2010 @ 10:54 am

oh same here, I love to dig out the duck drumstick too when I’m young. yes this soup reminds a lot of us about our childhood :-)

5. diva — January 13, 2010 @ 12:19 am

p/s. i never knew that cardamom went in that soup!

6. Janet@ Gourmet Traveller 88 — January 13, 2010 @ 3:39 am

Sounds a special soup.

7. Juliana — January 13, 2010 @ 4:05 am

Oh Wiffy! You sure have my mouth watering over your salted vegetable soup…you just reminded me that I have not had this for a while :-(
    Great pictures as always :-)

8. mycookinghut — January 13, 2010 @ 5:32 am

Love this soup a lot!! It has been a while since I last had it… it’s great that you remind me this recipe :up:

9. HoppingHammy — January 13, 2010 @ 8:00 am

I’ve never tried duck before, but your photos makes it appear mouthwatering. :up: It sounds like a great way to have it with the salted vegetables, in a soup. (hey, we all have our guilty pleasures, right? :P )

And I swear you must have the largest assortment of dishes, each with a different design. Every photo shoot has something new! *envy* (Which is why I could never do food photography, ’cause my mom has 1 set of dishware that is white and boring….no punchi napkins or anything! :cry: hehe)

• wiffy replied: — January 14th, 2010 @ 10:56 am

oh dear, you noticed my addiction to cutlery and props shopping hehe :| Actually, I love white cutlery the most… they are classic and elegant and I use them all the time at home :D

10. reena — January 13, 2010 @ 10:09 am

My mom used to cook this when I was young, I love the sweet and salty taste of this soup. I won’t get a chance to cook this as it’s simply too much for my family now. Will have to wait till the kids are older.