Pumpkin Soup in Pumpkin Bowl Recipe Teh C Peng "Special" Recipe Gula Melaka (Palm Sugar) Sambal Quail Eggs Recipe Braised Ee-Fu Noodles Recipe Teh 'C' Recipe

Salted Vegetables and Duck Soup

Salted Vegetables and Duck Soup 咸菜鸭肉汤
Salted Vegetables and Duck Soup

This is one of my favourite Chinese soup. To me, a delicious salted vegetables and duck soup must not just be salty, it has to be hot and peppery as well. In my version, the heat comes from the white peppercorn, red chilli and ginger. Salted vegetables may not be the most healthy vegetable in the world, but this sure is tasty and an absolute guilty pleasure of mine!

Salted Vegetables and Duck Soup 咸菜鸭肉汤

Ingredients
(Serves 4-6)

- 1/2 duck (roughly 1 kg), chopped to big pieces, skin removed & fats trimmed
- 300g salted vegetables, cut to smaller pieces (if you want, you can soak in water for about 10 minutes to reduce the saltiness; but I don’t)
- 2 large red chilli, cut into half lengthwise, seeds removed
- 2 tomatoes, quartered
- 4 cardamons, coarsely crushed (optional, see last photo)
- 1-2 tsp white peppercorn, coarsely crushed
- 20g of ginger, bruised or make cuts all over
- 1.7 litres of water

DSC_2045_ingredientsv2Salted Vegetables and Duck Soup 咸菜鸭肉汤
Ingredients: Cut salted vegetables, chilli and tomato

Directions
1. Blanch duck pieces in boiling water for 5 minutes to remove scum. Rinse under cold water and set aside.
2. In a deep soup pot, add water, blanched duck, salted vegetables, cardamons, white peppercorn and ginger. Bring to a boil.
3. Lower heat and add tomatoes. Simmer over low heat for about an hour. Taste the soup; it’s usually not necessary to season with more salt, but if needed, you can season with a tiny bit of light soy sauce. Serve with warm white rice and if you like, cut chilli padi in dark soy sauce as condiment.

Further ideas from comments -

- Add some pork ribs (200g, blanch with the duck pieces at step 1) to make the soup tastier. (thanks @ keropokman)
- Add cube tofu pieces to the soup about 5-10 minutes before you turn off the flame for 咸菜豆腐鸭汤. (thanks @ gertrude)

Cardamon
Ingredient: Cardamon

69 Responses to “Salted Vegetables and Duck Soup”

1. jo — January 12, 2010 @ 9:33 pm

Oooh .. I love this soup. Give me a bowl of rice with it and you’ll see me grinning from ear to ear :P

2. gertrude — January 12, 2010 @ 10:54 pm

My late grandma used to made this soup for us but she never put any cardamon to it. This is something new to me. We also like to add tofu to the soup.

• wiffy replied: — January 14th, 2010 @ 10:52 am

tofu cubes is a nice touch to the soup. I shall add them next time I make the soup :-)

3. Petite Nyonya — January 12, 2010 @ 11:06 pm

I absolutely love this soup!! So good to be back visiting your blog. My whole family loves this soup too. We didn’t use cardamoms so this is interesting and new to me. I’m sure it enhances the taste and aroma. Thanks for sharing.

• wiffy replied: — January 14th, 2010 @ 11:00 am

It’s good to see you back in action! Yes I think the cardamons are a nice touch to add if you have it in your pantry already.

4. diva — January 13, 2010 @ 12:18 am

whey!! this used to be my favourite soup, apart from black chicken herbal soup and my mum’s sweet chestnut and fig soup when i was a kid. i loved going out to soup restaurants for this and finding a whole duck drumstick in it :) oh sweet times. thanks for putting up this recipe and making me feel so happy reminiscing those good times. x

• wiffy replied: — January 14th, 2010 @ 10:54 am

oh same here, I love to dig out the duck drumstick too when I’m young. yes this soup reminds a lot of us about our childhood :-)

5. diva — January 13, 2010 @ 12:19 am

p/s. i never knew that cardamom went in that soup!

6. Janet@ Gourmet Traveller 88 — January 13, 2010 @ 3:39 am

Sounds a special soup.

7. Juliana — January 13, 2010 @ 4:05 am

Oh Wiffy! You sure have my mouth watering over your salted vegetable soup…you just reminded me that I have not had this for a while :-(
    Great pictures as always :-)

8. mycookinghut — January 13, 2010 @ 5:32 am

Love this soup a lot!! It has been a while since I last had it… it’s great that you remind me this recipe :up:

9. HoppingHammy — January 13, 2010 @ 8:00 am

I’ve never tried duck before, but your photos makes it appear mouthwatering. :up: It sounds like a great way to have it with the salted vegetables, in a soup. (hey, we all have our guilty pleasures, right? :P )

And I swear you must have the largest assortment of dishes, each with a different design. Every photo shoot has something new! *envy* (Which is why I could never do food photography, ’cause my mom has 1 set of dishware that is white and boring….no punchi napkins or anything! :cry: hehe)

• wiffy replied: — January 14th, 2010 @ 10:56 am

oh dear, you noticed my addiction to cutlery and props shopping hehe :| Actually, I love white cutlery the most… they are classic and elegant and I use them all the time at home :D

10. reena — January 13, 2010 @ 10:09 am

My mom used to cook this when I was young, I love the sweet and salty taste of this soup. I won’t get a chance to cook this as it’s simply too much for my family now. Will have to wait till the kids are older.