Som Tam (Papaya Salad) Recipe Cincalok Egg Recipe Sambal Okra Stir-fry Recipe Beef Bulgogi Recipe Multigrain Rice Recipe Ssamjang Recipe

Salted Vegetables and Duck Soup

Salted Vegetables and Duck Soup 咸菜鸭肉汤
Salted Vegetables and Duck Soup

This is one of my favourite Chinese soup. To me, a delicious salted vegetables and duck soup must not just be salty, it has to be hot and peppery as well. In my version, the heat comes from the white peppercorn, red chilli and ginger. Salted vegetables may not be the most healthy vegetable in the world, but this sure is tasty and an absolute guilty pleasure of mine!

Salted Vegetables and Duck Soup 咸菜鸭肉汤

Ingredients
(Serves 4-6)

– 1/2 duck (roughly 1 kg), chopped to big pieces, skin removed & fats trimmed
– 300g salted vegetables, cut to smaller pieces (if you want, you can soak in water for about 10 minutes to reduce the saltiness; but I don’t)
– 2 large red chilli, cut into half lengthwise, seeds removed
– 2 tomatoes, quartered
– 4 cardamons, coarsely crushed (optional, see last photo)
– 1-2 tsp white peppercorn, coarsely crushed
– 20g of ginger, bruised or make cuts all over
– 1.7 litres of water

DSC_2045_ingredientsv2Salted Vegetables and Duck Soup 咸菜鸭肉汤
Ingredients: Cut salted vegetables, chilli and tomato

Directions
1. Blanch duck pieces in boiling water for 5 minutes to remove scum. Rinse under cold water and set aside.
2. In a deep soup pot, add water, blanched duck, salted vegetables, cardamons, white peppercorn and ginger. Bring to a boil.
3. Lower heat and add tomatoes. Simmer over low heat for about an hour. Taste the soup; it’s usually not necessary to season with more salt, but if needed, you can season with a tiny bit of light soy sauce. Serve with warm white rice and if you like, cut chilli padi in dark soy sauce as condiment.

Further ideas from comments –

– Add some pork ribs (200g, blanch with the duck pieces at step 1) to make the soup tastier. (thanks @ keropokman)
– Add cube tofu pieces to the soup about 5-10 minutes before you turn off the flame for 咸菜豆腐鸭汤. (thanks @ gertrude)

Cardamon
Ingredient: Cardamon

69 Responses to “Salted Vegetables and Duck Soup”

1. Ching — January 12, 2010 @ 12:27 am

Yummy! I love this sour duck soup!

p/s I really love your chicken bowl set.

• wiffy replied: — January 14th, 2010 @ 11:02 am

hehe aren’t they adorable? and lends an additional “traditional” and “authentic” feel when they are used for Asian food, well at least to me!

2. Bob — January 12, 2010 @ 1:25 am

One of the things I love about your blog is I’m always seeing recipes I never would have heard of before. This looks great, if I can manage to find some duck I’ll have to try it out.

• wiffy replied: — January 14th, 2010 @ 10:44 am

I also learn a lot about western food from your blog. hope you get a chance to try it out :)

3. pigpigscorner — January 12, 2010 @ 2:48 am

This is one of my favourites too, so appetising! I don’t add cardamon though, have to try this enxt time!

4. lisaiscooking — January 12, 2010 @ 4:27 am

This looks like a fantastic soup! I wasn’t familiar with salted vegetables but did a quick search to learn about them. I love learning new things about food!

• wiffy replied: — January 14th, 2010 @ 10:47 am

I think salted vegetables is more of an Asian ingredient, though I think they are quite readily available at Asian groceries stores in the US. I’m always learning about western ingredients from your blog ;)

5. Katherine — January 12, 2010 @ 8:13 am

There is nothing like a hearty soup that is also good for you. Your soup looks amazing and I am sure it taste amazing too.

6. zenchef — January 12, 2010 @ 11:59 am

Great recipe and i love the addition of cardamon. I would love this!
    No leftovers for me? :)

7. Mrs Ergül — January 12, 2010 @ 12:26 pm

This is my true comfort food. Since young, I have leaned towards food that are more salty. And when I climbing up the stairs to go home after school and I smell my mum’s 咸菜鸭汤, it just makes my day! (we stay on the 2nd storey!) I love 咸菜鸭汤!

• wiffy replied: — January 14th, 2010 @ 10:48 am

me too, I like salty … sour, spicy stuff. Wow the aroma of your childhood 咸菜鸭汤 must be really potent for it to travel so far! :up:

8. yours deliciously — January 12, 2010 @ 4:47 pm

Super lovely soup! Love the salty sour taste of it…

9. Trissa — January 12, 2010 @ 8:51 pm

I learn something new everyday! I’ve never heard of this salted vegetable soup but it does sound so full of flavour! The addition of the duck would make it a perfect meal!

10. Ellena — January 12, 2010 @ 9:06 pm

Oh my goodness… this is one of my favourite childhood soup…. and my late dad used to cook this soup for me at least once everyday mth or two. But till nw, i still don’t have the confident and courage to try making this soup(didn’t get a chance to learn his secret recipe)….. Em… yours really look great!!

• wiffy replied: — January 14th, 2010 @ 10:51 am

Since you remember the taste, I’m sure you can experiment till you get the taste of how your late father used to make it :-)