Kimchi Nabe (Hot Pot) Recipe Banana Strawberry Smoothie Recipe Chinese Minestrone Soup Recipe Claypot Chicken Brown Rice Recipe Lo Mai Gai Recipe 10-Minute Matcha Latte Recipe

Salted Vegetables and Duck Soup

Chinese Salted Veg Duck Soup Recipe

First posted in Jan 2010, updated in Sep 2016.

Get this recipe on the next page >

Salted vegetables duck soup (咸菜鸭汤)  is one of my favourite Chinese home-cooked soup. Its salty savoury taste makes the soup addictively appetizing (开胃).

See Also:

Salted vegetables may not be the most healthy vegetable in the world, but this soup makes a tasty home treat once in a while!

Salted Veg Duck Soup Recipe Szechuan Vegetable Duck Soup Crock Pot Slow Cooker

Just like Sichuan veg duck soup, I followed my mum’s tradition of using a slow cooker (crockpot) to cook this soup. Duck meat takes a longer time to cook than other meats like chicken, so the slow cooker is really useful for this recipe. With the slow cooker, one doesn’t have to spend hours watching the stove and topping up the water constantly.

Salted Veg Duck Soup Recipe Salted Veg Duck Soup Recipe Salted Veg Duck Soup Recipe

To me, a delicious salted vegetables duck soup must not just be salty, it has to be mildly hot and peppery as well. In my version, the heat comes from the white peppercorn, red chilli and ginger (pictured above).

Chinese Salted Veg Duck Soup Recipe

You know this soup is done when the duck meat is so tender that it just falls off the bones when it is gently touched with chopsticks.  After simmering in the crock pot for hours, the soup is rich and delicious.

72 Responses to “Salted Vegetables and Duck Soup”

1 2 3 5
  1. Lia Chen — January 11, 2010 @ 1:19 pm

Never try this before Wiffy! But looks delicious … Is that correct that duck meat will need more time to cook to get them tender?

• wiffy replied: — January 14th, 2010 @ 10:40 am

I think duck needs more time to cook if it’s whole, like a roasted duck? I cut them to big chunks for boiling (just as would I cut chicken), so I didn’t really notice a significant difference in the time :)

2. celine — January 11, 2010 @ 1:42 pm

this is another of my Ah Mah speciality that I miss terribly …. the next time i go to spore, can i call you and you make this soup for me? i will bring you whatever you want from kl. i am serious …i love this soup ALOT, so much, words cannot describe.

• wiffy replied: — January 14th, 2010 @ 10:41 am

hehe u’re so cute! Not many people dare to eat my noob cooking :wink: Sure, I’ll be most glad to cook for you if you don’t mind my simple home-cooked fare ;)

3. tigerfish — January 11, 2010 @ 2:27 pm

Is Cardamon a secret ingredient? ;p
    I only use that in Indian cooking!

• wiffy replied: — January 14th, 2010 @ 10:45 am

yes cardamon is usually used in Indian, Mediterranean cooking but it flavours the duck soup in a nice subtle way here :)

4. Joyce — January 11, 2010 @ 3:26 pm

Yummers. I love kiamchye n meat!

5. ykristen — January 11, 2010 @ 6:42 pm

was wondering if the duck could be replaced by chicken for a healthier option

• wiffy replied: — January 14th, 2010 @ 10:42 am

duck and salted vegetables is the famous combination for this Chinese classic, but I don’t see why you can’t substitute with chicken or pork ribs, or a combination of both or all 3 :)

6. MaryMoh — January 11, 2010 @ 7:07 pm

Oh no….it’s so long since I last ate this dish. This looks so good! It’s very appetising. I must cook this.

7. daphne — January 11, 2010 @ 8:37 pm

Another great classic- I love especially the peppery taste as well!

8. The Little Teochew — January 11, 2010 @ 9:29 pm

Once in a while, we deserve a guilty pleasure! I loved how you presented all the ingredients in the 3rd shot. Great job on this making this soup. How can you call yourself a noob?! ;)

9. Little Inbox — January 11, 2010 @ 9:47 pm

Oh, my mom didn’t cook this for us since long long time ago…kind of miss it now.

1 2 3 5