Som Tam (Papaya Salad) Recipe Cincalok Egg Recipe Sambal Okra Stir-fry Recipe Beef Bulgogi Recipe Multigrain Rice Recipe Ssamjang Recipe

Salted Vegetables and Duck Soup

Salted Vegetables and Duck Soup 咸菜鸭肉汤
Salted Vegetables and Duck Soup

This is one of my favourite Chinese soup. To me, a delicious salted vegetables and duck soup must not just be salty, it has to be hot and peppery as well. In my version, the heat comes from the white peppercorn, red chilli and ginger. Salted vegetables may not be the most healthy vegetable in the world, but this sure is tasty and an absolute guilty pleasure of mine!

Salted Vegetables and Duck Soup 咸菜鸭肉汤

Ingredients
(Serves 4-6)

– 1/2 duck (roughly 1 kg), chopped to big pieces, skin removed & fats trimmed
– 300g salted vegetables, cut to smaller pieces (if you want, you can soak in water for about 10 minutes to reduce the saltiness; but I don’t)
– 2 large red chilli, cut into half lengthwise, seeds removed
– 2 tomatoes, quartered
– 4 cardamons, coarsely crushed (optional, see last photo)
– 1-2 tsp white peppercorn, coarsely crushed
– 20g of ginger, bruised or make cuts all over
– 1.7 litres of water

DSC_2045_ingredientsv2Salted Vegetables and Duck Soup 咸菜鸭肉汤
Ingredients: Cut salted vegetables, chilli and tomato

Directions
1. Blanch duck pieces in boiling water for 5 minutes to remove scum. Rinse under cold water and set aside.
2. In a deep soup pot, add water, blanched duck, salted vegetables, cardamons, white peppercorn and ginger. Bring to a boil.
3. Lower heat and add tomatoes. Simmer over low heat for about an hour. Taste the soup; it’s usually not necessary to season with more salt, but if needed, you can season with a tiny bit of light soy sauce. Serve with warm white rice and if you like, cut chilli padi in dark soy sauce as condiment.

Further ideas from comments –

– Add some pork ribs (200g, blanch with the duck pieces at step 1) to make the soup tastier. (thanks @ keropokman)
– Add cube tofu pieces to the soup about 5-10 minutes before you turn off the flame for 咸菜豆腐鸭汤. (thanks @ gertrude)

Cardamon
Ingredient: Cardamon

69 Responses to “Salted Vegetables and Duck Soup”

1 2 3 5
  1. Lia Chen — January 11, 2010 @ 1:19 pm

Never try this before Wiffy! But looks delicious … Is that correct that duck meat will need more time to cook to get them tender?

• wiffy replied: — January 14th, 2010 @ 10:40 am

I think duck needs more time to cook if it’s whole, like a roasted duck? I cut them to big chunks for boiling (just as would I cut chicken), so I didn’t really notice a significant difference in the time :)

2. Angie@Angie's Recipes — January 11, 2010 @ 1:26 pm

The soup sounds very yummy! Your photos are always so beautiful.

3. celine — January 11, 2010 @ 1:42 pm

this is another of my Ah Mah speciality that I miss terribly …. the next time i go to spore, can i call you and you make this soup for me? i will bring you whatever you want from kl. i am serious …i love this soup ALOT, so much, words cannot describe.

• wiffy replied: — January 14th, 2010 @ 10:41 am

hehe u’re so cute! Not many people dare to eat my noob cooking :wink: Sure, I’ll be most glad to cook for you if you don’t mind my simple home-cooked fare ;)

4. tigerfish — January 11, 2010 @ 2:27 pm

Is Cardamon a secret ingredient? ;p
    I only use that in Indian cooking!

• wiffy replied: — January 14th, 2010 @ 10:45 am

yes cardamon is usually used in Indian, Mediterranean cooking but it flavours the duck soup in a nice subtle way here :)

5. Joyce — January 11, 2010 @ 3:26 pm

Yummers. I love kiamchye n meat!

6. ykristen — January 11, 2010 @ 6:42 pm

was wondering if the duck could be replaced by chicken for a healthier option

• wiffy replied: — January 14th, 2010 @ 10:42 am

duck and salted vegetables is the famous combination for this Chinese classic, but I don’t see why you can’t substitute with chicken or pork ribs, or a combination of both or all 3 :)

7. MaryMoh — January 11, 2010 @ 7:07 pm

Oh no….it’s so long since I last ate this dish. This looks so good! It’s very appetising. I must cook this.

8. daphne — January 11, 2010 @ 8:37 pm

Another great classic- I love especially the peppery taste as well!

9. The Little Teochew — January 11, 2010 @ 9:29 pm

Once in a while, we deserve a guilty pleasure! I loved how you presented all the ingredients in the 3rd shot. Great job on this making this soup. How can you call yourself a noob?! ;)

10. Little Inbox — January 11, 2010 @ 9:47 pm

Oh, my mom didn’t cook this for us since long long time ago…kind of miss it now.

1 2 3 5