Sake-Steamed Clams Recipe (Asari no Sakamushi)
Step 2 of simmering the kombu will give additional umami (flavour of the sea) to the steamed clams; however, you may skip the step if you do not have kombu.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 8 mins
- 250 grams asari clams (or any local clams) if using frozen, thaw before use
- one 5cm x5cm (2 inch) piece of kombu (kelp)
- 200 ml water
- 100 ml sake
- 1/2 tbsp chopped spring onions
- Scrub clams with a hard brush, then soak in salted water for at least an hour for the clams to purge out sand and impurities. Drain and rinse clams.
- Add kombu and water in pot, bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes and discard kombu.
- Add clams and sake. Close lid and steam for 2-3 minutes, until all the shells open. Discard any clams that remain closed.
- Ladle clams and clam broth to a serving bowl and top with chopped spring onions.
Noob Cook Tip
Discard any shells that remain closed after cooking.