Roasted Asparagus with Garlic, Lemon & Thyme
Roasted Asparagus with Garlic, Lemon & Thyme Recipe
For convenience of cleaning, line the roasting tray with aluminium foil before putting in the asparagus.
- 20 medium to thick stalk asparagus (do not use pencil-thin types)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves peeled & finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves peeled and gently bruised
- 3 lemon slices
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme (for better results, dip them in hot water for 30 seconds before use)
- 2 dried bay leaves optional
- half lemon
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Prepare the asparagus by trimming & discarding the bottom ends and removing the outer skin on the stalks.
- Coat asparagus with olive oil. Season with sea salt and black pepper. Arrange asparagus spears one layer on a roasting tray.
- Top asparagus with garlic, lemon slices, thyme and bay leaves. Squeeze the juice of half a lemon (not too much – you want a mild citrus flavour but not sour taste).
- Roast the asparagus in pre-heated oven of 200°C (392°F) for about 20 minutes, or until the tips start to brown slightly.