Fermented Bean Curd (Nam Yee) Chicken Wings Recipe MyKuali White Curry Noodles Easy Waffles Recipe Samyang Fried Chicken Ramyun Air-fried Vegetarian Zai Er Recipe Ipoh Hor Fun Recipe

Leftover Roast Chicken Stock Recipe

Leftover Chicken Stock Recipe
Ultimate chicken stock made from leftover roast chicken

Next time you roast a chicken, save the bones and roasting juices to make the best ever chicken stock. The chicken stock made from roasting chicken is so rich and delicious, I must admit that I love and look forward to my bowl of chicken macaroni soup made from the leftover chicken the next day, more than the roast chicken itself. I read that in restaurants’ kitchens, the chefs deliberately roast the chicken bones before using them to make stock, but since home cooking is so small-scale, it may not be economical to do so. So what better chance to make restaurant-quality chicken stock at home, than when you already have a roasted chicken in the oven. To me, the taste of home-made chicken stock made from roasted chicken is unbeatable. It is my ultimate comfort food. Nothing goes to waste from your roast chicken, so this is a really frugal way of cooking. For chicken stock using freshly bought chicken bone, check out this tutorial on how to make your own chicken stock.

DirectionsLeftover Chicken Stock Recipe (Step-by-Step Photos)
Step 1: Reserve the pan juices and herbs (such as thyme, rosemary, garlic and bay leaf) which you used to roast your chicken as well as the chicken carcass, including the the wing tips and bones. I even deliberately roasted a few extra chicken feet I kept in the freezer together with my roast chicken. After roasting chicken, the cavity is filled with delicious juices so empty them into the pan as well.

Leftover Chicken Stock Recipe (Step-by-Step Photos)
Step 2: Place the ingredients mentioned above into a deep soup pot. P.S. I’m using the less glamourous wok here – I tend to use my wok for almost everything, it’s so versatile!

Leftover Chicken Stock Recipe (Step-by-Step Photos)
Step 3: Add celery, onions, carrots and garlic.

Leftover Chicken Stock Recipe (Step-by-Step Photos)
Step 4: Add water and bring to a boil.

Leftover Chicken Stock Recipe (Step-by-Step Photos)
Step 5: Lower heat and continue simmering for at least 40-50 minutes with lid partially closed (I close my lid completely because my wok has a little air vent).

Leftover Chicken Stock Recipe (Step-by-Step Photos)
Step 6: Simmer for about 40-50 minutes, or until you taste the richness of the chicken broth. Top up with some hot water if needed. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Leftover Chicken Stock Recipe (Step-by-Step Photos)
Step 7: Take out the bones and the ingredients, leaving only the stock behind. I separate the carrots because I am adding it to my chicken macaroni soup later.

Leftover Chicken Stock Recipe (Step-by-Step Photos)
Step 8: You will be left with only the broth.

Leftover Chicken Stock Recipe (Step-by-Step Photos)
Step 9: Run the stock through a fine mesh sieve so that it is particle-free.

Leftover Chicken Stock Recipe
Step 10: Store the stock in a container. It keeps in the fridge for a week or so. You can also freeze the stock where it keeps for 2 months. Do not refreeze the broth once it has thawed, therefore fit them in volumes which you use for your recipes and soups (such as 600ml container or even ice-cube trays). You will notice that upon chilling (pictured above), the fats float to the top and harden. This is your best chance to scrap off the fats with a spoon.

Leftover Chicken Stock Recipe (Step-by-Step Photos)
Step 11: You can use the stock for anything. I love to use it the day after for my chicken macaroni soup. Just bring the stock to a boil, add leftover shredded chicken to warm through. Pour the soup over some cooked macaroni.

Chicken Macaroni Soup
End Result: My delicious bowl of chicken macaroni soup, made from leftovers!

47 Responses to “Leftover Roast Chicken Stock Recipe”

1 2 3 4
  1. Cooking-Gallery — December 28, 2009 @ 12:00 am

Great recipe! I also always use the same method for making duck soups – using the leftover bones from roast duck, very yummy indeed!

• wiffy replied: — December 29th, 2009 @ 2:00 pm

I have never roasted a duck before but duck stock made from roasted duck bones sure sounds yummy!

2. peachkins — December 28, 2009 @ 12:08 am

I love Chicken macaroni Soup! One of my comfort foods!

3. chocolate shavings — December 28, 2009 @ 1:12 am

When I was a culinary student, we used to make chicken stock using over 200 chicken bones per batch… Using homemade chicken stock makes such a difference in home cooking. I love the idea of using roast chicken, what a great way to transform leftovers into a new delicious meal!

• wiffy replied: — December 29th, 2009 @ 2:00 pm

200 chicken bones! I’m trying to imagine the sheer enormity of it all. The stock you guys made be the best! :)

4. Angie@Angie's Recipes — December 28, 2009 @ 2:44 am

I love the stock made from the roast chicken left-over….the noodle must have tasted awesome with homemade stock.

• wiffy replied: — December 29th, 2009 @ 2:01 pm

yes the taste is really different from just plain bones … just awesome :)

5. Aubrey — December 28, 2009 @ 6:31 am

Oh delicious. That looks like a delicious winter meal. Lovely photos as well!

• wiffy replied: — December 29th, 2009 @ 2:02 pm

chicken soup is certainly comfort food … yes especially for the cold winter. Thanks!

6. Julie — December 28, 2009 @ 6:34 am

Chicken feet !!!! boaahhh …. it looks disgusting !!

7. kisetsu — December 28, 2009 @ 8:34 am

Hmmm, is there a better name instead of calling it chicken carcass? Doesn’t sound appetizing. :twisted:

But of cos’, all good stock are made from these leftover. I learnt something new here. Previously I thot only buy fresh bones to make stock, seems like the leftover taste better. :up:

• wiffy replied: — December 29th, 2009 @ 2:05 pm

haha yea chicken carcass sounds kinda gross. but I was afraid that if I just say bones, ppl will discard the main part which includes the rib cage etc … hehe gross indeed, making of is usually not as glamorous as the final product lol :D

8. tracieMoo — December 28, 2009 @ 9:58 am

sounds pretty good! could we do this with turkey?? haha.. since it’s Christmas :P

• wiffy replied: — December 29th, 2009 @ 2:08 pm

I don’t see why not! I think it’s even better, coz more bones because turkey is much bigger!

9. HoppingHammy — December 28, 2009 @ 10:03 am

*cries* The last photo of soup is mouthwatering! I want I want! 8O (The other photos don’t look too pretty, but it’s not your fault hehehe.) Home made soup is the BEST!

• wiffy replied: — December 29th, 2009 @ 2:09 pm

yes the photos look pretty scary :D hehe

10. Little Inbox — December 28, 2009 @ 10:26 am

The stock is rich and it must be flavorful. :)

1 2 3

1. Pingback: Roast Chicken with Glutinous Rice Stuffing | NoobCook.com

2. Pingback: Minimalist Roast Chicken | NoobCook.com

3. Pingback: Homemade Chicken Stock « EAT

4. Pingback: Not So Little Girl In A Reverie » Making Macaroni With Chicken Broth For Dinner!

5. Pingback: How to make Chicken Stock Recipe