Leftover Roast Chicken Stock Recipe
Chicken Stock Recipe using Leftover Roast Chicken
Next time you roast a chicken, freeze the bones and roasting juices to make the best ever chicken stock. Nothing goes to waste from your roast chicken, so this is a really frugal way of cooking.
Use the stock in your cooking and for making quick and healthy one-dish meals such as chicken macaroni soup.
Serves: 2-3 cups
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 50 mins
- 2-3 whole chicken bones (including the the wing tips and bones) the more the merrier
- pan juices including the liquid accumulated inside the chicken cavity
- herbs used to stuff the chicken cavity If you did not have them in your roast chicken, add roughly 2 sprigs of thyme, 2 sprigs of rosemary and 2 bay leaves
- 1.5 litres water top up with hot water if needed
- 2 stalks celery (leaves included) sliced
- 2 carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 5 garlic cloves slighted bruised
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add all the ingredients except salt and pepper into a large soup pot. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 50 minutes with lid partially closed, or until you taste the richness of the chicken broth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Take out the bones and all the ingredients (keep the carrots or celery if desired), leaving only the stock behind. Run the stock through a fine mesh sieve so that it is particle-free.
- Chill or freeze chicken stock. You will notice that upon chilling, the fats float to the top and harden. This is your best chance to scrap off the fats with a spoon for a healthy, oil-free chicken stock.
Noob Cook Tip
Store chicken stock in a freezer-friendly and covered container. It keeps in the fridge for about a week. You can also freeze the stock where it keeps for 2 months. Do not refreeze the broth once it has thawed, therefore fit them in volumes which you use for your recipes and soups (such as 600ml container). You will notice that upon chilling, the fats float to the top and harden. This is your best chance to scrap off the fats with a spoon.
Leave a Comment
49 Responses to “Leftover Roast Chicken Stock Recipe”
Pingback: How to make Chicken Stock Recipe