Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
This is my first alcoholic drink recipe featuring my favourite liqueur- Choya (Japanese plum wine). My love affair with Choya started when my good friend Shin introduced us to it when we were in uni. It was a girls’ night out at Shin’s home, and she whipped out a bottle of Choya in the middle of the night to treat us. Unlike most alcoholic drinks, Choya tastes sweet and not very “alcoholic”, but do not be misled by its unintimidating taste and drink like some soda water, because the alcoholic content is 15%. You have been warned, ok? So how about diluting it with some green tea to make ‘Relax Choya’? Since wine is so expensive in Singapore, this is a great way to ration it too :p
(makes 1 glass)
– Concentrated green tea: 2 tsp green tea powder dissolved in 60ml hot water
(note: you can use green tea bag if you do not have green tea powder)
– 40ml Choya (梅酒)
– 1 to 2 Choya plums
– Ice cubes
– Green tea powder, for garnishing (optional)
1. In a small glass, add the Choya plums, ice cubes, green tea and choya. Stir well. Sprinkle some green tea powder as garnishing if desired. That’s it! Enjoy!
(I like to enjoy my Relax Choya by taking 2 big sips, then wait for the ice to melt, stir and drink the milder last bits)
1. Instead of brewing the green tea, you can use canned sugarless green tea for convenience.
2. Psst… do you know that you can buy Choya really cheaply in Japan’s airports? There is a duty-free shop in Tokyo Narita Airport called “Tax-Free Akihabara”, where Choya (among other Japanese products & wines) are sold really cheaply. I got this bottle for less than S$15!