Korean Spicy Cucumber Salad Recipe (Oi-muchim) Salted Egg Yolk Tofu Recipe Roasted Curried Cauliflower Recipe Yosenabe Recipe Claypot Tofu Vegetables Recipe Sesame Wine Chicken Recipe

Pumpkin Rice

Pumpkin Rice Recipe
First posted in Apr 2008, updated in Apr 2016.

I learnt to cook this homely pumpkin rice (南瓜饭) from my friend koalabear (thank you!). Not only is this pumpkin rice sweet and tasty, it also has a lovely bright and cheerful yellow hue when cooked.

More Rice Cooker Recipes:
"Claypot" Chicken Rice (Rice Cooker Recipe)

The buttery aroma of the rice blended perfectly with the sweet taste of pumpkin, which is softly mashed when cooked. The result is just heavenly deliciousness.

Pumpkin Rice Recipe

The cooking method is similar to my mum’s cabbage rice – involving stir-frying some of the ingredients in the wok and then tossing everything to cook in the rice cooker.

32 Responses to “Pumpkin Rice”

1. celine — October 10, 2010 @ 6:42 pm

Hi Wiffy, I cooked this often as it is my family’s favourite (thanks for sharing). Most of the time I get it right but occasionally about a third of the rice is not cooked. The other two third of it is cooked. Any chance you know why?

Thanks!

• wiffy replied: — October 11th, 2010 @ 7:09 pm

hey celine, good to see ya ;) This has never happened to me! Did you measure the water for cooking rice? When the uncooked rice is fried in the wok, they may swell in volume, so estimation of water will not be as accurate as that of just normal plain uncooked rice grains without stir frying. Other than that I can’t really think of any other reason hehe

• celine replied: — October 11th, 2010 @ 9:07 pm

thanks, Wiffy! i suspected that it has something to do with the water too. anyway with the uncooked bits, my family polished it up too! LOL! they REALLY love this ALOT!

xoxo

2. Rose — September 13, 2012 @ 9:56 pm

Wiffy,

May I know how much water to use for 2 cups of rice? Thanks

• wiffy replied: — September 20th, 2012 @ 2:52 pm

Personally I use slightly over 2 cups of water for 2 cups of rice.

3. WBT — January 2, 2013 @ 8:08 am

Hi Wiffy,

I would like to check if we are able to prepare ingredients with uncooked rice and store it in the fridge for use the next day? Will it spoil?

4. Juliana — April 13, 2016 @ 4:42 am

This rice dish sounds and looks very tasty, pork belly, salted fish and pumpkin…all ingredients that I like.
    Thanks for the recipe Wiffy…have a great week :)

5. Adeline — April 17, 2016 @ 6:37 pm

Hi there, I just tried your cabbage rice recipe (it is super yummy!!) and thinking of trying this one soon, just wondering – no soya sauce or salt required? Where do you get the salty taste from?
    Thanks :)

• wiffy replied: — April 21st, 2016 @ 5:02 pm

It’s mainly the salted fish – but yes, you can season the dish to taste with some salt at the end :)

1. Pingback: How to cook pumpkin rice using rice cooker? | happy green panda