Som Tam (Papaya Salad) Recipe Cincalok Egg Recipe Sambal Okra Stir-fry Recipe Beef Bulgogi Recipe Multigrain Rice Recipe Ssamjang Recipe

Potato and Leek Soup

Potato and Leek Soup

When I saw the in-season leeks on sale at my supermarket and I remembered that I still have a bag of potatoes in the fridge, I knew this is just perfect to make this simple potato and leek soup.

See Also: Creamy Pumpkin Soup Recipe

I love the fact that this soup does not require cream because the potatoes alone gave the soup a naturally creamy and chunky texture. I considered this as a healthy and filling western style soup. We served the soup as a meal with home made garlic bread toast.

Potato and Leek Soup

62 Responses to “Potato and Leek Soup”

1. daphne — May 5, 2010 @ 11:22 pm

very very satisfying and warm! I love potato and leek soup as it has such a mild but creamy taste to it. And what a bargain as well!

2. gaga — May 6, 2010 @ 12:32 pm

Mmm, I love leeks. This soup looks so tasty.

3. 3hungrytummies — May 6, 2010 @ 3:35 pm

This is a favourite at the tummies! Beautiful presentations!

4. What a lovely velvety soup (and no cream so I’m considering it healthy!). Perfect comfort food. Thanks for sharing what looks to be something very yummy ;~)

5. Stella — May 7, 2010 @ 9:53 am

Hey Wiffy! Now this looks like something I can make! Leeks look nice around here lately. Your photos are so beautiful as always too…they make me want a bowl now!

• wiffy replied: — May 7th, 2010 @ 11:11 am

I guess it’s the leek season now. They are plentiful, cheap and fresh :up:

6. amli — May 12, 2010 @ 1:00 am

Hi Wiffy. i’m still in my infancy stage for cooking, so there’s alot of things for me to know and learn. As i’m not a particular fan of garlic, would the taste of garlic be strong if i add it in?

• wiffy replied: — May 12th, 2010 @ 6:21 am

hmm I personally don’t find the garlic taste strong but why don’t you omit it since you don’t really like it :)

7. evelyn — May 12, 2010 @ 3:55 pm

Hi, I don’t have yellow or white onion but only shallot. Do you think I can use it to make this soup?

• wiffy replied: — May 15th, 2010 @ 5:44 pm

Hi evelyn, I think you can try with shallot (maybe around 8-10) … you can even omit the onions all together.

8. evelyn — May 16, 2010 @ 11:42 pm

Thanks. I did went to buy onions instead. I omit the wine becos I’m cooking for my 2yo boy also. But the soup ..mmm.. not nice. I failed! :(

• wiffy replied: — May 16th, 2010 @ 11:51 pm

Oh how come? :O what chicken stock you used?

9. evelyn — May 17, 2010 @ 6:03 pm

I use chicken breast to boil and make it as the stock.

• wiffy replied: — June 18th, 2010 @ 8:30 pm

I think maybe the stock is not rich enough. Usually home made chicken stock need to brew for quite long. I’m using Heinz carton chicken stock when I’m busy :)

10. Jemma — June 18, 2010 @ 7:46 pm

Hiya,

Probably a very dim question but after I make this, can I just pop it in some tupperware and reheat it later during the day?

Thank you! x

• wiffy replied: — June 18th, 2010 @ 8:32 pm

You’re going to reheat it in the microwave oven? I’m not sure if tupperware is microwave safe, if it is you can pop it in the microwave (undo the lid and cover partially, leaving a bit of opening) for about 2 minutes or till warm. Hope this answers your question :)