Porcini Mushroom Risotto
For those interested to know, I ordered my organic porcini for about US$4. I used a 1-oz packet for this recipe. If you like to order this product from iHerb too, you can use my affiliate coupon code WIF026 to get US$5 off any first order.
Porcini Mushroom Risotto Recipe
The water used to soak the dried porcini is used as part of the stock for the risotto, resulting in a deep and earthy taste, as well as a darker colour for the cooked risotto.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
- 30g (1 oz pack) porcini
- 700ml chicken stock (or vegetable stock to make this dish vegetarian)
- 1 cup (150g) unwashed risotto rice such as arborio
- 15g + 30g butter
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 large onion finely chopped
- 1/2 glass dry white wine
- 30g grated parmesan cheese
- a small bunch of Italian flat leaf parsley finely chopped
- salt & freshly cracked black pepper
- In a small bowl, add porcini mushrooms and just enough hot water (about 200ml) to cover them. Let it stand for about 15 minutes, until the mushrooms are reconstituted. Roughly chop mushrooms and strain soaking liquid through a fine sieve.
- Combine the mushroom soaking liquid with the chicken/vegetable stock. Warm it up in a saucepan or microwave oven.
- In a heated pan, add olive oil and 15g butter. Saute the onions on low heat until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Turn up the heat and stir in the rice for a minute until nicely coated. Add white wine and wait a few seconds; you will smell the lovely aroma of the wine as it sizzles and evaporates.
- Add the first ladle of hot stock and the chopped mushrooms. Stir continuously and simmer until the rice has absorbed most of the stock, then add the next ladle of stock. Continue doing so until the rice is cooked with a slight bite in the middle, about 20 minutes. If you ran out of stock, use hot water.
- Remove the risotto from heat and stir in remaining butter (cubed) and parmesan cheese. Cover with lid and leave the risotto to "relax" for a few minutes.
- Season with salt (if necessary) and black pepper. Dish risotto onto a serving plate and garnish with chopped parsley.