Summer Rolls Recipe Pumpkin Soup in Pumpkin Bowl Recipe Teh C Peng "Special" Recipe Gula Melaka (Palm Sugar) Sambal Quail Eggs Recipe Braised Ee-Fu Noodles Recipe

Pineapple Tarts

Home-made pineapple tarts
Pineapple Tarts – Open Filling

Pineapple tarts (黄梨酥) are considered a “festive cookie” and usually consumed during the Chinese New Year season. Pineapple is auspicious sounding to the Chinese so many people feel it’s lucky to eat them. As a baking noob, I made my life easier by çheating with store-bought pineapple paste (bought from Phoon Huat) – all I had to do is to make the pastry. Somehow, I did end up with decent tasting. Though this is my second time making pineapple tarts, I take heart that they are edible & yummy. Here’s wishing everyone a happy and ox-picious new year!

Ingredients
(Recipe adapted from Kuali)

Pastry:
- 150g flour
- l/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- 100g butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 egg yolk

- 120g store bought pineapple paste
- 1 egg, beaten for glazing

You also need:

Home-made pineapple tarts
- pineapple tarts mold (I bought mine from Phoon Huat, Singapore – thanks to Small Small Baker for the info)

Directions
1. Sieve flour, corn flour, salt and icing sugar into a mixing bowl. Cut butter to small pieces and rub into the flour, then add egg yolk to form a dough.

Home-made pineapple tarts

2. Dust the work area, rolling pin and pineapple tart mold (edges) with flour.

3. To make open pineapple tarts – Roll pastry (with gentle, short strokes) into 0.5cm thickness and stamp out with a pineapple tart mold. Add one teaspoon of pineapple paste filling (roll to a ball). Glaze with egg if you want a golden crust.

*4. To make closed pineapple tarts – Roll pastry into 0.3cm thickness and about 6.5cm x 5cm. Add one teaspoon of filling and roll with your hands to close the pastry (roll to a ball). You can patch with more pastry skin if needed. Glaze with egg.

5. Bake in a preheated oven at 180ºC for 10 to 15 minutes or till lightly brown. You may need to bake for about 5 minutes longer for the closed version.

*Note: I got tired of making the open versions so I experimented with the close version on my own. This may not be the ‘right’ way of making the closed version because I did not read up on how others do it, but it looked & tasted all right ;p

60 Responses to “Pineapple Tarts”

1. _ts of [eatingclub] vancouver — January 27, 2009 @ 10:24 am

Oh, they’re so pretty! It looks like the labor was worth it. ;)

2. Marysol — January 28, 2009 @ 2:39 am

I don’t think I’ve seen prettier tarts, anywhere!
    And they’re adorable in size as well; I could shovel several dozen of these and not feel any guilt at all.

3. Jude — January 28, 2009 @ 11:43 am

Tart dough can be really difficult to work with. Yours came out so beautifully though.

4. wiffy — January 28, 2009 @ 4:03 pm

Thanks for the kind words everyone ^o^

5. Susan — January 29, 2009 @ 7:24 am

Adorable and delectable, Wiffy!

6. weeze — February 3, 2009 @ 2:02 am

how many did this recipe make? about 30 tarts maybe?

7. wiffy — February 3, 2009 @ 9:12 am

Yes weeze, makes about 30 open tarts or slightly less.

8. Suxuan — January 22, 2010 @ 11:01 am

Hi Wiffy,

Came across ur blog few days ago. I muz say is very informative! Thumbs up!

And I just tried baking closed version pineapple tarts using ur receipe.. The tarts turned out to look alright. All thanks to ur easy to make receipe!! However, during the process of closing the tarts, the dough becomes “cakey” and it cracks easily. It is so difficult to close the pineapple tarts.

Do u have any advice on how to not make the dough so “cakey” to close the tarts?

Thanks so much in advance:)

• wiffy replied: — January 22nd, 2010 @ 11:24 pm

Hello Suxuan, I’m actually not that good at troubleshooting baking problems coz I’m not that experienced in baking hehe. I wonder if you can add very small amount of water (1/2 tsp each time) and see if the dough becomes less cakey? There are some suggestions for making the pastry less crumbly in this page (see comments section).

• Suxuan replied: — January 23rd, 2010 @ 11:03 am

Thank u so much wiffy:) will try again wif the advice u gave me:)

Cheers! :up:

9. cat — January 23, 2010 @ 10:11 pm

hey there. ur tarts looks nice!

but can i ask some qns here?

wld love to knw hw actualli did u rub in the butter wif flour? with hands?

how abt adding in egg yolk to e dough? also wif ur hands?

will wan to experience tis..

thks!

• wiffy replied: — January 23rd, 2010 @ 10:26 pm

yes I use my fingers to rub the butter into the flour. I use my hands to make the dough too. No gadgets :) Good luck, hope you like the recipe!

10. NFN — February 17, 2010 @ 12:30 pm

I really like the closed tarts. They looks absolutely yummy! :up: