Sambal Quail Eggs Recipe Braised Ee-Fu Noodles Recipe Teh 'C' Recipe Watermelon Soju Recipe Bittergourd Salted Egg Recipe Myojo Ramen Char Mee 100 (Instant Noodles Review)

Pineapple Tarts

Home-made pineapple tarts
Pineapple Tarts – Open Filling

Pineapple tarts (黄梨酥) are considered a “festive cookie” and usually consumed during the Chinese New Year season. Pineapple is auspicious sounding to the Chinese so many people feel it’s lucky to eat them. As a baking noob, I made my life easier by çheating with store-bought pineapple paste (bought from Phoon Huat) – all I had to do is to make the pastry. Somehow, I did end up with decent tasting. Though this is my second time making pineapple tarts, I take heart that they are edible & yummy. Here’s wishing everyone a happy and ox-picious new year!

Ingredients
(Recipe adapted from Kuali)

Pastry:
- 150g flour
- l/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- 100g butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 egg yolk

- 120g store bought pineapple paste
- 1 egg, beaten for glazing

You also need:

Home-made pineapple tarts
- pineapple tarts mold (I bought mine from Phoon Huat, Singapore – thanks to Small Small Baker for the info)

Directions
1. Sieve flour, corn flour, salt and icing sugar into a mixing bowl. Cut butter to small pieces and rub into the flour, then add egg yolk to form a dough.

Home-made pineapple tarts

2. Dust the work area, rolling pin and pineapple tart mold (edges) with flour.

3. To make open pineapple tarts – Roll pastry (with gentle, short strokes) into 0.5cm thickness and stamp out with a pineapple tart mold. Add one teaspoon of pineapple paste filling (roll to a ball). Glaze with egg if you want a golden crust.

*4. To make closed pineapple tarts – Roll pastry into 0.3cm thickness and about 6.5cm x 5cm. Add one teaspoon of filling and roll with your hands to close the pastry (roll to a ball). You can patch with more pastry skin if needed. Glaze with egg.

5. Bake in a preheated oven at 180ºC for 10 to 15 minutes or till lightly brown. You may need to bake for about 5 minutes longer for the closed version.

*Note: I got tired of making the open versions so I experimented with the close version on my own. This may not be the ‘right’ way of making the closed version because I did not read up on how others do it, but it looked & tasted all right ;p

60 Responses to “Pineapple Tarts”

1. beachloverkitchen — January 22, 2009 @ 3:26 pm

we both post the same cookies!! lol! You know what it’s my 1 st time making this cookies,but I bought the filling from Malaysia,so I’m cheating too! lol! I have no idea how to do it and the dough will breaking away from me.Then I visit “how to make pineapple tart in You Tube” and got it at last! lol!
    Yours look good man!!

2. Pigpigscorner — January 22, 2009 @ 6:19 pm

WOw they look really pretty and delicious! And I can understand your pain! I helped my mum with some last year and I gave up after making maybe 5.

3. mycookinghut — January 22, 2009 @ 9:21 pm

Thumbs up! I just visited beachloverkitchen’s blog and she got some to offer too!! This is really a CNY thingy that I miss! :D

4. Patricia — January 23, 2009 @ 12:34 am

Pineapple goodies look like fun, but I want to open another subject if you do not mind. I am a new subscriber and would like to know if you have yet addressed “straits” cooking, or “straits” food. Would love to know more about that. Thanks
    BTW, the 3 cup chicken was great, just my thing. :up:

5. lisaiscooking — January 23, 2009 @ 1:14 am

They look so great! It does get frustrating when something gets so time consuming, but they look delicious.

6. wiffy — January 23, 2009 @ 11:32 am

Thank you all for your kind words! :D

Su-Lin, I think there is a chance they may stock it because Phoon Huat is a baking store and so they have lots of baking supplies. When are u coming? ;p

LCOM, SSB, I find the closed ones easier to make! =D

Pepy & Selby, thank you … I learnt a new name for pineapple tarts in Indonesian … and it sounds pretty!

beachlover, I should have totally checked out the youtube vid b4 starting, heh… thanks for letting me know!

Patricia, hi and thanks for visiting me. Straits food meaning Nyonya food? I am not faimiliar with Nyonya cuisine, but if I chance upon any nice recipes and try it out, I’ll be sure to post ;p

7. Bee — January 23, 2009 @ 2:28 pm

Your post reminds me that I need to make some again. Happy CNY! :)

8. Ning — January 23, 2009 @ 4:39 pm

These look good, and it was just the second attempt?? :up: wow!

9. Jun @ IndoChine Kitchen — January 23, 2009 @ 7:48 pm

Wiffy. You blew me away this time! Those are simply beautiful.

I adore those who can make pineapple tarts! I know yours must be good because pineapple tarts are best when made in small batches.

Well done!

10. MiketheWaiter — January 23, 2009 @ 10:21 pm

beautiful photography makes your subject matter that much more appetizing. The honesty (hard to trim the edges of the tart) etc. makes your review that much more believable. well done!