Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Pesto Pizza Recipe
Besides the usual ready-made pizza crust, you can use all types of breads (such as flat bread, tortilla and pita bread) as the pizza base.
- 2 personal size (9cm/23cm) ready-made pizza base such as pizza crust, pita bread, tortilla etc
- 8-10 slices eggplant (brinjal or aubergine) sliced to roughly 1.5 cm thickness
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil for brushing the eggplant slices
- 6 button mushrooms stalks trimmed and caps sliced thickly
- 6 cherry tomatoes halved
- a small handful shredded cheese of your choice for topping the pizza
- sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
(A) Pesto Ingredients
- 60 grams sweet basil leaves
- 40 grams toasted pine nuts
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and sliced
- 60 grams grated parmesan cheese
- 125 ml extra virgin olive oil
(B) Topping Garnishing
- a few basil leaves
- 1 tsp toasted pine nuts
- To make fresh pesto, blend all the ingredients in (A) except olive oil until well combined. With the blender motor still running, gradually pour in extra virgin olive oil to achieve a thick, smooth consistency. If the pesto becomes too thick, add more oil. You can also use a mortar and pestle to pound the ingredients. Season with salt and pepper, or more cheese to taste.
- Brush eggplant slices with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Sit eggplants and mushrooms on a wire rack and grill for about 5 minutes, or until they start to brown.
- Spread home-made pesto evenly over the pizza crust using the back of a spoon. Tip: start from the outside so that you won’t neglect the outer edges.
- Arrange grilled eggplants, mushrooms and cherry tomatoes over the pizza and top with shredded cheese of your choice.
- Bake the pizza at preheated oven of 200°C (392°F) for about 8 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the eggplants brown further. Scatter remaining pine nuts and a few basil leaves over the cooked pizza.