Sambal Quail Eggs Recipe Braised Ee-Fu Noodles Recipe Teh 'C' Recipe Watermelon Soju Recipe Bittergourd Salted Egg Recipe Myojo Ramen Char Mee 100 (Instant Noodles Review)

Papaya Milk

Papaya Milk Recipe

Check Out: Blueberry Smoothie Recipe

Papaya Milk (木瓜牛奶) is a popular drink in Asian countries such as Singapore, Hong Kong and Taiwan. This is my simple home-version. I thought of doing this because I have leftover papaya from making papaya, snow fungus and almonds dessert. The papaya was a little over-ripe and soft so I thought it will be nicer in a drink than eating it on its own. It turns out really nice and a healthy, refreshing drink. Some people also believe that this drink is beneficial to expectant mothers because it is nutritious.  For other known properties of this drink, check out the comments ;)

Papaya Milk Recipe

If you have a whole papaya, slice away the papaya skin (using a vegetable peeler or knife). Cut the papaya in half lengthwise, and use a spoon to scrap out all the seeds.

Serves: 1 glass

Prep Time: 10 mins

Ingredients

• 200g ripe & sweet papaya flesh cut into small chunks
  • 200ml fresh milk
  • 1 tsp honey to taste

Directions

Blend everything together in a blender until you can get a smooth consistency.

42 Responses to “Papaya Milk”

1. Kirbie — August 28, 2010 @ 1:39 am

Yum, I make this all the time when I have overripe papayas. Or ones that aren’t sweet. Love drinking this. I’ve also heard the rumors of what this milk is supposed to do…and I can say that it definitely didn’t work for me. After my mom read about it, I started drinking a few cups a day for a few months..nothing. Hehe

2. Paula — August 28, 2010 @ 6:29 pm

I love dried papaya so I think that I would like such milkshake too :)

3. Cat @ The KitchenMaid — August 29, 2010 @ 5:49 am

I want to try this, do you think it will work if i use a hand held immersion blender?

• wiffy replied: — August 29th, 2010 @ 3:07 pm

I think it will work, because you just want to blend them till smooth.

4. Elmo — August 29, 2010 @ 9:39 am

We actually add condensed milk to the mixture instead of honey–next time I will try the honey! In the U.S. we have a latin food brand GOYA and they make frozen papaya puree that also works well for this milkshake!

5. Christine@Christine's Recipes — August 29, 2010 @ 5:49 pm

Yeah, it’s very popular in HK. Whenever I go back to HK, I’d definitely buy this delicious cool drink when we’re in hot days. It’s very nutritious too.

6. jo — August 29, 2010 @ 8:47 pm

I’ve had this before and it is delicious. When I first heard of it I was thinking “yucks”. But surprisingly it was so tasty. I guess for anyone who doesn’t like papayas, this would be a no-no. You can do the same for honey dew melon as well, but probably omit the honey.

7. mycookinghut — August 29, 2010 @ 8:57 pm

Interesting! I have never had this before!

8. joudie's Mood Food — August 29, 2010 @ 9:10 pm

This is so simple and also so amazing! Papaya is Just delicious. I love the creamy texture of it. Perfect!

9. gaga — August 30, 2010 @ 10:31 am

Mmm, one of my favorites!

10. norma — August 31, 2010 @ 4:20 am

Delicious! This is so beautiful…..