Hot & Sour Lemon Prawns Recipe How to de-vein shell-on prawns Shiitake Mushroom Stew Recipe Stir-fry Cucumber, Mince & Prawn Recipe Chicken Soba Noodle Stir-fry Recipe Avocado Shrimp Pasta Recipe

Oyster Sauce Vegetables in Garlic Oil

Oyster Sauce Vegetables in Garlic Oil

First posted in Jan 2010, updated in Mar 2017.

This plate of oyster sauce vegetables (油菜) in crispy garlic oil was one of the first vegetable dishes I made when I started cooking for the blog, and I am still making it regularly today. That’s almost 10 years!

Related Recipes:

I can’t help making this classic homely dish again and again, because it is so quick & easy to whip up. It also accompanies any Chinese dish for a balanced and complete meal.

Oyster Sauce Vegetables in Garlic Oil

The baby bok choy (小白菜) are blanched in rapidly boiling water for only 10 seconds. It’s optional, but I usually lower the stems into the boiling water with tongs for 5 seconds (pictured above), before dropping the whole bunch into the boiling water for another 5 seconds. So it’s stems: 10 seconds, leaves: 5 seconds if you want to be a perfectionist XD If this is your first time blanching this vegetable, you may be surprised how quick it is to cook them.

Oyster Sauce Vegetables in Garlic Oil
As for the sauce, it is non-cooking – just dilute oyster sauce with hot water and balance the saltiness with a small amount of sugar.

Crispy Garlic Oil Recipe

The garlic oil with crispy chopped garlic is the fun (yummy) part. You can make a small amount just for one serving each time you make this dish, but I usually make a bigger quantity & keep the extra garlic oil in the fridge. By preparing beforehand, I can come home after work and whip up this vegetable dish in 10 minutes.  The solidified oil thaws quickly at room temperature. Check out the step-by-step pictures for making crispy garlic in garlic oil.

Oyster Sauce Vegetables in Garlic Oil Recipe

59 Responses to “Oyster Sauce Vegetables in Garlic Oil”

1. Little Inbox — January 8, 2010 @ 8:43 am

I must have at least one green dish when I cook rice. Must eat a health diet, good for health. This is one of my favourite.

• wiffy replied: — January 11th, 2010 @ 9:13 am

wow, you’re really disciplined. I’m trying to be like you too, at least one veg dish a day. :up:

2. Lia Chen — January 8, 2010 @ 11:16 am

I’m a fan of garlic oil … surely nice to put it on the green veggie too. Yum Wiffy!

3. Marc @ NoRecipes — January 8, 2010 @ 12:54 pm

I love oyster sauce and oil on veggies. What a great idea flavouring the oil with garlic.

4. food-4tots — January 9, 2010 @ 12:28 am

I like blanced vegetables as it’s the easiest and healthier way. For me, I just add shallot oil (+ some fried shallots) and oyster sauce to the veggie. ;)

• wiffy replied: — January 11th, 2010 @ 9:09 am

I like it with shallot oil as much as I like it with garlic oil, shallots is a bit more work to chop but … so nice! :-)

5. Angie@Angie's Recipes — January 9, 2010 @ 4:24 pm

OMG! I love greens! The more, the merrier!
    Excellent clicks!

6. 3hungrytummies — January 9, 2010 @ 8:13 pm

This is that sort of simple vegetable dishes I love to cook all the time! Lovely photo!

7. ippo456 — January 10, 2010 @ 4:29 pm

O I’m so making this & serving it with chicken rice. Thinking about it already makes me hungry. Yum yum.

• wiffy replied: — January 11th, 2010 @ 9:10 am

Oh yes, it is common to eat this with chicken rice. You know our food culture really well! 8)

8. reena — January 15, 2010 @ 10:58 am

I mixed my oyster sauce with some sugar and water too but I add shallot oil instead of garlic oil. Will try this one day. Thanks for sharing!

9. reena — January 15, 2010 @ 4:21 pm

I blanched some kai lan today and did it your way ie using garlic oil instead of my regular shallot oil. It’s a totally different taste and I must say it’s actually quite good. This will be my next alternative when I run out of shallot oil. Thanks again!

• wiffy replied: — February 18th, 2010 @ 10:56 am

I like shallot oil too. It’s slightly more work than garlic oil but I like it just the same :)

1. Pingback: Foodbuzz 24, 24, 24: Rustic Singapore – Buying & Cooking with Local Produce | NoobCook.com