Sauteed Kale Recipe Stir-fry Asparagus in XO Sauce Recipe Oyster Sauce Vegetables in Garlic Oil Recipe Crispy Garlic Oil Recipe Perfectly Seared Scallops Recipe Stir-fried Asaparagus with Scallop Recipe

Oyster Sauce Vegetables in Garlic Oil

Oyster Sauce Vegetables in Garlic Oil

First posted in Jan 2010, updated in Mar 2017.

This plate of oyster sauce vegetables (油菜) in crispy garlic oil was one of the first vegetable dishes I made when I started cooking for the blog, and I am still making it regularly today. That’s almost 10 years!

Related Recipes:

I can’t help making this classic homely dish again and again, because it is so quick & easy to whip up. It also accompanies any Chinese dish for a balanced and complete meal.

Oyster Sauce Vegetables in Garlic Oil

The baby bok choy (小白菜) are blanched in rapidly boiling water for only 10 seconds. It’s optional, but I usually lower the stems into the boiling water with tongs for 5 seconds (pictured above), before dropping the whole bunch into the boiling water for another 5 seconds. So it’s stems: 10 seconds, leaves: 5 seconds if you want to be a perfectionist XD If this is your first time blanching this vegetable, you may be surprised how quick it is to cook them.

Oyster Sauce Vegetables in Garlic Oil
As for the sauce, it is non-cooking – just dilute oyster sauce with hot water and balance the saltiness with a small amount of sugar.

Crispy Garlic Oil Recipe

The garlic oil with crispy chopped garlic is the fun (yummy) part. You can make a small amount just for one serving each time you make this dish, but I usually make a bigger quantity & keep the extra garlic oil in the fridge. By preparing beforehand, I can come home after work and whip up this vegetable dish in 10 minutes.  The solidified oil thaws quickly at room temperature. Check out the step-by-step pictures for making crispy garlic in garlic oil.

Oyster Sauce Vegetables in Garlic Oil Recipe

59 Responses to “Oyster Sauce Vegetables in Garlic Oil”

1. pigpigscorner — January 7, 2010 @ 4:10 am

I should learn from you and cook more veg. My hubs always complain that I don’t care about the poor veg =P looks so good! Simple and delicious!

2. LCOM — January 7, 2010 @ 7:16 am

Oh, I love how you arranged the bok choy! This I need to copy, make it so presentable.

• wiffy replied: — January 11th, 2010 @ 9:05 am

yes it’s much easier to eat also, I find it so hard to eat the whole bok choy with the stem :-)

3. Reeni — January 7, 2010 @ 10:43 am

You make them look so good with the oyster sauce and garlic! Thanks for the tip about the oyster sauce! I am trying to eat more greens too.

4. The Sudden Cook — January 7, 2010 @ 1:42 pm

Love it! I’m trying to incorporate more greens too…’trying’ being the operative word:)

5. Eat. Travel. Eat! — January 7, 2010 @ 1:47 pm

Wow, you make these simple blanched greens look so beautiful and perfect :). In my area, the restaurants do not dilute the oyster sauce, but instead just serve it in a swiggle on top of the gailan or on the side on the same plate- usually that helps dilute it, but still it is quite salty!

6. MaryMoh — January 7, 2010 @ 5:34 pm

That looks very green, delicious and healthy. I would really love that. I always have fried garlic oil reday too. It makes cooking very easy and quick. I love green leafy vegetables too but we have quite limited choice here. I really miss all the many different types found back home.

• wiffy replied: — January 11th, 2010 @ 9:07 am

oh but in exchange, you have more “exotic” vegetables there like parsnips, brussel sprouts etc which is quite hard to find here sometimes. :-)

7. chocolate shavings — January 7, 2010 @ 10:09 pm

That’s the perfect side dish!

8. Katerina — January 8, 2010 @ 12:49 am

This looks delicious, I love your photos, the green really pops. I have never blanched bok choy before using it, it doesn’t take long to cook anyways. Will try next time.

• wiffy replied: — January 11th, 2010 @ 9:07 am

Hope u like it :)

9. Gillian — January 8, 2010 @ 12:51 am

Steaming and blanching are my preferred method of cooking vegetables. Easy and quick! Read somewhere that steaming retains more nutrients, so I try to use more steaming now!

• wiffy replied: — January 11th, 2010 @ 9:08 am

I like steaming and blanching too! I prefer to steam “harder” vegetables like broccoli and blanch the leafier ones. But I like both methods :)

10. Janet@ Gourmet Traveller 88 — January 8, 2010 @ 2:39 am

You have presented this very nicely!