Oyster Sauce Vegetables with Fried Shallots
This is a super easy Chinese greens recipe with oyster sauce, fried shallots and shallot oil. I love the fact that the vegetables cook really quickly (less than 30 seconds in boiling water) so you can just cook the greens right before you serve dinner, while preparing the oyster sauce mixture and the aromatic fried shallots + shallot oil before hand. I am using baby bok choy (xiao bai cai, 小白菜) here but you can also use other greens such as baby kailan to your liking. Besides fried shallots, you can also do a variant of this dish with garlic oil instead.
Like Noob Cook on Facebook
Recipe Updates via Email
- 400g baby bok choy (xiao bai cai, 小白菜)
- 2 tbsp of fried shallots in shallot oil – see base recipe here
Oyster Sauce Mixture (A)
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp hot water
- 1/2 tsp sugar
1. Prepare fried shallots & shallot oil using the recipe here.
2. In a small bowl, stir using a spoon, all the ingredients in (A) till well mixed.
3. Boil a large pot of water with 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil added. When the water is boiling, add baby boy choy and blanch for approximately 30 seconds. If this is your first time blanching vegetables, they may not look like they are cooked to you, so do not overcook.
4. Assemble cooked greens on a serving plate and drizzle fried shallots+shallot oil and oyster sauce mixture over the vegetables.
1. Because of the time to cook the shallots, it is recommended to cook a big batch and use it for all kinds of Chinese dishes, rather than prepare a small amount just to make this dish. It keeps for a week.
2. If you like, trim the ends of the blanched baby boy choy and then cut them to approximately 3 sections lengthwise (see first photo) so that they are easier to eat.
3. You can use other greens such as baby kailan. It will take a slightly longer time to blanch them (about a minute or more). Add 1 tsp of sugar to the boiling water since kailan is slightly bitter.
|If you enjoy this article, please share, tks!|