Orange Sorbet Recipe
Since oranges come in varying sweetness, lime juice is used to balance the sweetness of the sorbet and also to provide a subtle citrusy aroma.
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 1-2 days (chilling time in freezer)
- 300ml orange juice strained through a fine sieve (if using no pulp orange juice, no need to strain)
- 300ml water
- 100g caster sugar
- 3 shavings of orange peel
- 2 tbsp lime juice to taste
- orange rind thinly sliced
- mint leaves
- In a pot, simmer water, caster sugar and orange peel on low heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- When the sugar syrup has cooled, discard orange peel and mix in the orange juice.
- Add lime juice, to taste, to balance the sweetness of the mixture and to get a mild lime citrus aroma.
- Pour orange mixture into a shallow tray (for best results, use an aluminum roasting tray). When the liquid freezes, break it into smaller chunks and process in food processor. Return to the freezer. Repeat this once more to achieve a smooth consistency, and then freeze until firm.
- Fifteen minutes before serving, transfer to the fridge to soften the sorbet. Garnish with orange rind curls and mint leaves.