Olive Fried Rice
Thai Olive Fried Rice Recipe
For best results when cooking fried rice, use cooked rice that has been refrigerated overnight. If you do not like the idea of overnight rice , you can also use freshly cooked rice which has been refrigerated for at least 2 hours in the fridge. Refrigerating the rice keeps the grains dry so that they won’t stick to each other during stir frying. Alternatively, ‘tabao’ (takeaway) extra rice the day before, for making fried rice the next day.
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
- 1/2 tsp + 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 egg beaten; add 3 dashes of white pepper powder
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 4 shallots peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 tbsp shrimp paste
- 150 grams minced pork marinate with (A); may substitute with chicken
- 400 grams cooked rice (1 cup uncooked rice cooked in 1 cup of water) refrigerated overnight
- 2 heaped tbsp chopped Chinese olives (or olive vegetables)
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp chopped spring onions
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp light soy sauce
- 3 dashes white pepper powder
(B) Serving Suggestions
- 1/3 cucumber peeled and either sliced thinly or diced
- 3 shallots peeled and sliced to thin shreds
- 3 chilli padi thinly sliced
- 1 Thai lime cut to 6 wedges
- 3 tbsp cashew nuts
- Heat and grease wok with 1/2 tsp of oil. Cook egg, swirl to cover entire wok. Cook egg on both sides. When the egg is cooled, roll it up like a cigar and sliced to thin strips. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in wok, stir fry garlic and shallots until the latter are translucent.
- Add shrimp paste and stir fry for 30 seconds.
- Add pork, stir fry until it is cooked on the surface, using the spatula to break them to smaller pieces as you are doing so.
- Add rice, olive vegetables and fish sauce. Stir fry until everything is well combined and the rice is of an even colour.
- Turn off the stove. While the fried rice is still hot, add chopped scallions and egg. Stir to mix everything thoroughly.
- Serve each plate of olive fried rice with a small amount of garnishes at (B).