Nian Gao Sweet Potato Sandwich
Nian Gao Sweet Potato Sandwich Recipe
"Nian Gao" or Chinese New Year Cake is an auspicious festive food. The Chinese word “nian gao” sounds like “higher year” so it signifies greater success in the coming year. The stickiness also represents family togetherness and closeness. Serve this snack with Chinese tea to aid digestion as nian gao is sticky and filling.
Serves: 2-3 (10 sandwiches)
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
- 10 slices nian gao (tikoy/年糕) sliced to uniform thickness
- 20 slices sweet potato (peeled before slicing) sliced to uniform thickness
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 large egg beaten
- 2.5 tbsp plain flour sifted
- 1 tsp cornflour (or baking soda) sifted
- 1/2 tbsp ice water
- small pinch of salt
- Sandwich each nian gao slice with two sweet potato slices (or 1 sweet potato slice and 1 yam slice).
- In a bowl, whisk (A) until the batter is of a semi-thick and smooth consistency.
- Heat a pan with oil. Dip nian gao "sandwich" in egg batter and pan-fry in batches (add more oil if needed), until lightly browned on both sides. Drain excess oil on tempura paper. Serve with Chinese tea.
Noob Cook Tip:
- For ease of cutting the nian gao, refrigerate it overnight. The hardened nian gao will be much easier to cut than when it is soft and sticky.
- Recipe variation: You can sandwich the nian gao with a slice of sweet potato and yam (taro) instead of two slices of sweet potato.