Nian Gao “Onde-Onde”
Nian Gao in Grated Coconut Recipe
"Nian Gao" or Chinese New Year Cake is an auspicious festive food. The Chinese word “nian gao” 年糕 sounds like “higher year” so it signifies greater success in the coming year. The stickiness also represents family togetherness and closeness. Serve this snack with Chinese tea to aid digestion as nian gao is sticky and filling.
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 6 mins
- 150 grams refrigerated nian gao 年糕 (tikoy) cut to even-sized small cubes
- 3 tbsp grated (desiccated) coconut or just enough to cover 1 cm of the plate
- a small pinch of salt
- Combine grated coconut and salt in a plate. Roll nian gao cubes in the grated coconut and arrange one layer without overlapping each other.
- Steam at high heat for about 8 minutes. Use a pair of tongs to roll each nian gao piece in the remaining grated coconut until evenly coated. Serve with Chinese tea.
Noob Cook Tips:
- For ease of cutting the nian gao, refrigerate it overnight. The hardened nian gao will be much easier to cut than when it is soft and sticky.
- The amount of grated coconut in this recipe is indicative. You can basically eye-ball the quantity by making sure that it covers the entire plate by 1 cm.