Meatless Minestrone Soup
Minestrone Soup Recipe
This is a very adaptable recipe; feel free to use your favourite stock, herbs and seasonable vegetables. You can also tweak the consistency of the soup to your liking. The soup is traditionally more chunky, but you may make a more brothy version (like I did) by using more stock.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
- 30 grams butter
- 2 stalks celery thinly sliced
- 1/2 onion thinly sliced
- 750 ml vegetable stock
- 5 French beans ends trimmed, sliced to 2 cm length
- 6 cabbage leaves thinly sliced
- 1/2 zucchini thinly sliced
- 100 grams kidney beans drained from the can
- 1 tsp dried Italian herbs may substitute with herbs like rosemary/thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 30 grams tomato paste to taste
- 1/2 cup macaroni cooked in salted boiling water and drained
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes from the can (optional)
- a few leaves fresh basil finely chopped
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Melt butter in pot, saute celery and onions until the latter is translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Lower heat and add French beans, cabbage, zucchini, kidney beans, Italian seasoning, bay leaf and tomato paste. Simmer for 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are softened.
- When the soup is cooked, stir in the cooked macaroni and diced tomatoes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. To serve, dish into serving bowls and top with freshly chopped basil.