Som Tam (Papaya Salad) Recipe Cincalok Egg Recipe Sambal Okra Stir-fry Recipe Beef Bulgogi Recipe Multigrain Rice Recipe Ssamjang Recipe

Mentaiko Pasta

Mentaiko Pasta

Check Out: Hotate Mentaiyaki Recipe

Mentaiko is marinated roe of pollock and using it to make mentaiko pasta (明太子パスタ) is my favourite way to enjoy this ingredient. This Italian-Japanese pasta is usually quite expensive on the menu, but easily less than half the price (and more than double the roe) to make at home. Another benefit of making this pasta dish at home is that you can tweak the recipe to your liking, such as adjusting the creaminess and saltiness of the pasta. I personally do not like creamy pasta, so I am happy that my home version is without cream. In this recipe, I am using the non-coloured type of mentaiko (hence the pale colour of the dish) but if you prefer a more orange hue, be sure to buy the bright coloured mentaiko.

Non-coloured & coloured mentaiko roe.

Non-coloured & coloured mentaiko roe.

32 Responses to “Mentaiko Pasta”

1 2 3
  1. Peter — June 22, 2011 @ 1:56 am

Very intriguing and I’m curious to try this with some of the roe I see at my local asian market. These quick pasta dishes are the best, thanks!

• wiffy replied: — June 29th, 2011 @ 3:38 pm

I know your area is abundant with wonderful fish roe and caviar … how delightful :)

2. Angie@Angiesrecipes — June 22, 2011 @ 1:59 am

This is a very interesting pasta recipe. Those mentaiko look like chicken breast….

• wiffy replied: — June 29th, 2011 @ 3:39 pm

maybe because it’s a close-shot. The sacs looked much smaller in real life :p

3. MaryMoh — June 22, 2011 @ 4:58 am

The pasta looks simple and delicious. the mentaiko is new to me. Looks cute :P Love the pasta paste.

4. daphne — June 22, 2011 @ 8:41 am

Me too! I’m not a fan of creamy pasta as well- a little too heavy for my liking. I love how you make the sauce yourself..and this is the first time I am seeing this roe!!

5. Anncoo — June 22, 2011 @ 10:41 am

Oh Wiffy, Someone gave a a box of this roe, only put on grill. Thanks for sharing this recipe.. am sure my family will love it.

• wiffy replied: — June 29th, 2011 @ 3:38 pm

a BOX! you’re so lucky :p

6. Little Inbox — June 22, 2011 @ 12:10 pm

Mentaiko is new to me too. Looks so delicious, and most importantly, it’s simple to make.

7. tigerfish — June 22, 2011 @ 12:29 pm

Am also not a fan of creamy pasta…I know I can get mentaiko here, just need to make an effort to look out of it.

8. HoppingHammy — June 22, 2011 @ 9:22 pm

Beautiful looking dish! I love your garnish of seaweed strips on top and your overall presentation. :)

9. Jes — June 22, 2011 @ 9:35 pm

Hi there, may I know where you bought your mentaiko? Is it available all year round?
    I recently visited the Hokkaido fair at Scotts and they sell $19/100gm (that’s only about 1 sac). I must say it’s pretty pricey.. Not sure if they will sell even after the fair is over.

• wiffy replied: — June 29th, 2011 @ 3:34 pm

Hi Jes, I got mine from Isetan Scotts – not the fair, it’s inside the supermarket, the place where they sell sashimi. 4 sacs for S$12.90 and available all year round. Yes quite expensive ingredient, but 2 sacs can cook for 2 persons, still cheaper than ordering it outside ;)

10. Christine's Recipes — June 22, 2011 @ 9:35 pm

This Italian-Japanese pasta dish is very special. It’s time for a change to taste something special like this. Great sharing. Thanks.

1 2 3