Lobster Spaghetti Recipe Thai Basil Chicken Recipe Thai Holy Basil Thai Supermarket in Singapore Crispy Fried Egg Recipe Crispy Roasted Baby Potato Recipe

Mentaiko Pasta

Mentaiko Pasta Recipe

First posted in 2011, updated in Mar 2015.

Mentaiko is marinated pollock roe and a popular ingredient in Japanese cuisine. Using it to make mentaiko pasta (明太子パスタ) is my favourite way to enjoy this ingredient. This Italian-Japanese pasta is usually quite expensive on the menu, but easily less than half the price and more than double the roe, to make at home.

See Also:
Mentaiko Pasta Sauce Recipe

Mentaiko pasta sauce – no cooking required!

As gourmet as this pasta may sound and look, it is actual the simplest pasta recipe out there! The sauce does not require stove-top cooking and took me 5 minutes. The only real cooking I did was to cook the pasta (spaghetti).

Mentaiko Pasta Sauce Recipe

5-minute mentaiko pasta sauce – Just whisk to combine, and they are good to use!

To make the 5-minute sauce, I basically melted butter in the microwave, then whisked in the other ingredients in a small bowl.

Karashi Mentaiko (辛子明太子)

There are two main types of spicy ‘karashi’ mentaiko (辛子明太子) you can find at the local Japanese supermarkets. The colourless type will result in a colourless pasta with visible bits of roe in it. On the other hand, the coloured type (featured in this recipe; pictured above), will result in a slight salmon pink pasta sauce.  Click here to read more information about mentaiko.

40 Responses to “Mentaiko Pasta”

1 2 3
  1. Peter — June 22, 2011 @ 1:56 am

Very intriguing and I’m curious to try this with some of the roe I see at my local asian market. These quick pasta dishes are the best, thanks!

• wiffy replied: — June 29th, 2011 @ 3:38 pm

I know your area is abundant with wonderful fish roe and caviar … how delightful :)

2. Angie@Angiesrecipes — June 22, 2011 @ 1:59 am

This is a very interesting pasta recipe. Those mentaiko look like chicken breast….

• wiffy replied: — June 29th, 2011 @ 3:39 pm

maybe because it’s a close-shot. The sacs looked much smaller in real life :p

3. MaryMoh — June 22, 2011 @ 4:58 am

The pasta looks simple and delicious. the mentaiko is new to me. Looks cute :P Love the pasta paste.

4. daphne — June 22, 2011 @ 8:41 am

Me too! I’m not a fan of creamy pasta as well- a little too heavy for my liking. I love how you make the sauce yourself..and this is the first time I am seeing this roe!!

5. Anncoo — June 22, 2011 @ 10:41 am

Oh Wiffy, Someone gave a a box of this roe, only put on grill. Thanks for sharing this recipe.. am sure my family will love it.

• wiffy replied: — June 29th, 2011 @ 3:38 pm

a BOX! you’re so lucky :p

6. Little Inbox — June 22, 2011 @ 12:10 pm

Mentaiko is new to me too. Looks so delicious, and most importantly, it’s simple to make.

7. tigerfish — June 22, 2011 @ 12:29 pm

Am also not a fan of creamy pasta…I know I can get mentaiko here, just need to make an effort to look out of it.

8. HoppingHammy — June 22, 2011 @ 9:22 pm

Beautiful looking dish! I love your garnish of seaweed strips on top and your overall presentation. :)

9. Jes — June 22, 2011 @ 9:35 pm

Hi there, may I know where you bought your mentaiko? Is it available all year round?
    I recently visited the Hokkaido fair at Scotts and they sell $19/100gm (that’s only about 1 sac). I must say it’s pretty pricey.. Not sure if they will sell even after the fair is over.

• wiffy replied: — June 29th, 2011 @ 3:34 pm

Hi Jes, I got mine from Isetan Scotts – not the fair, it’s inside the supermarket, the place where they sell sashimi. 4 sacs for S$12.90 and available all year round. Yes quite expensive ingredient, but 2 sacs can cook for 2 persons, still cheaper than ordering it outside ;)

10. Christine's Recipes — June 22, 2011 @ 9:35 pm

This Italian-Japanese pasta dish is very special. It’s time for a change to taste something special like this. Great sharing. Thanks.

1 2 3

1. Pingback: Why do some Wordpress recipe sites use two pages for their content? [on hold] | DL-UAT

2. Pingback: Mentaiko Pasta | Simply Chinese Cuisine