Hot & Sour Lemon Prawns Recipe How to de-vein shell-on prawns Shiitake Mushroom Stew Recipe Stir-fry Cucumber, Mince & Prawn Recipe Chicken Soba Noodle Stir-fry Recipe Avocado Shrimp Pasta Recipe

Marmite Spaghetti

Marmite Spaghetti Recipe

First posted in May 2011, updated in May 2017.

Marmite is something you either love or hate. For me, of course I belong to the love camp. I even enjoy a marmite drink by simply dissolving marmite in hot water (better than essence of chicken!), and it is a must-have condiment in my porridge since my childhood days. And ever since I discovered marmite spaghetti from watching Nigella’s Kitchen, marmite now has a new purpose: it has become the key ingredient in my favourite to-go “marmite instant noodles”.

More Marmite Recipes:
Marmite Mushroom Pasta Recipe
Baked Marmite Chicken Wings Recipe
  • Marmite Chicken Wings Recipe (above; upcoming)

Marmite Spaghetti Recipe

Dress it up a little with some grated parmesan cheese and chopped parsley, and this quickie pasta dish even looks gourmet. This recipe is a god-sent when there is next to nothing in the fridge, and I want to whip up something quick but more wholesome than instant noodles.

See Also:

It takes 10 minutes to make this dish if I’m using spaghetti. If you want even quicker, use quick-cooking angel hair which takes only about 2 minutes of cooking time.

Making almost-instant marmite spaghetti:

Marmite Spaghetti Recipe
Cook spaghetti in boiling salted water.

Almost-Instant Marmite Sauce (Step-by-Step)
While the pasta is cooking, make the Marmite pasta sauce. Melt butter in a pan. You can also use the microwave oven.

Almost-Instant Marmite Sauce (Step-by-Step)
While the melted butter is still hot, add in marmite….

Almost-Instant Marmite Sauce (Step-by-Step)
… and stir until the marmite is fully dissolved.

Marmite Spaghetti Recipe
When the spaghetti is cooked, add them to the butter marmite sauce, adding 1-2 tbsp pasta water to bind everything together. Done!

39 Responses to “Marmite Spaghetti”

1. chow lee Peng — May 12, 2011 @ 12:19 am

Economy, quick and simple recipe especially when one is hungry.
    Easy to prepare within 15 minutes

2. Anncoo — May 12, 2011 @ 1:00 am

Mmm…this sounds delicious and healthy with Marmite. Would like to make this for my hubby because he loves Marmite :)

3. tigerfish — May 12, 2011 @ 11:10 am

I remember I used to eat Bovril more often than Marmite. Long forgotten taste for me….

4. Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover — May 12, 2011 @ 3:17 pm

This is super easy pasta, soung good too.

5. Life for Beginners — May 12, 2011 @ 3:21 pm

Truer words were never spoken – MARMITE is indeed something one either hates/loves. Fortunately I belong to the latter category, so this dish is both simple, wholesome and right up my alley! :)

Kinda reminds me of my student days, when I’d substitute the packet of seasoning for some Marmite when cooking instant noodles (the dry, non-soupy variety).

6. Maureen — May 12, 2011 @ 11:11 pm

Is there anything I need to note with I use normal butter?

• wiffy replied: — May 20th, 2011 @ 11:30 am

you mean salted butter? It should be fine, you may need slightly less marmite to season the noodles if using salted butter

7. Sissi — May 12, 2011 @ 11:32 pm

Hi, I am so happy I have discovered your website! Your recipes look very inspiring and the marmite pasta is definitely the dish I have to make. In Switzerland we have something very similar, a bit lighter in taste, called “cenovis” and I couldn’t really say which one I prefer. It would be interesting to compare cenovis pasta with marmite pasta one day :-)

• wiffy replied: — May 20th, 2011 @ 11:31 am

I have to research about cenovis pasta one day, sounds interesting and delicious. This isn’t my recipe though, I learn this from Nigella Kitchen (TV show) :)

8. mycookinghut — May 13, 2011 @ 2:31 am

Believe it or not, I have never tasted marmite! Is it the same as Bovril? I might give this a go!

• wiffy replied: — May 20th, 2011 @ 11:32 am

how could you! marmite is cheap in UK ;) hehe just kidding. I think it’s the same type of food, taste similar to Bovril but not the same (they have different formulas and ingredients)

9. kimberlycun — May 13, 2011 @ 12:34 pm

about time someone comes up with marmite spaghetti hahah! love this!

10. shirley@kokken69 — May 14, 2011 @ 5:23 pm

So glad you’ve shared this recipe. I have not had marmite for the longest time and can’t wait to relive the flavours!