Sambal Okra Stir-fry Recipe Beef Bulgogi Recipe Multigrain Rice Recipe Ssamjang Recipe Lady Finger with Sambal Belacan Dip Recipe Summer Rolls Recipe

Luo Han Guo Herbal Tea

Luo Han Guo Herbal Tea Recipe

Check Out: Watercress Soup with Luo Han Guo Recipe

My mum treated me to a spa session some time back and one of the most memorable thing that happened (besides the massage, of course) is that they served a cup of delicious, home-brewed luo han guo (arhat fruit/monk’s fruit/罗汉果) herbal tea  (罗汉果凉茶) during the session. Maybe I haven’t been to many spas, but nowadays I seldom see them serving home-made drinks. According to my mum, they brew herbal teas every morning to serve their customers. Maybe it’s psychological, but I do feel healthy and refreshed drinking it especially coupled with the massage. So I decided to try making my own herbal tea at home.

Luo Han Guo (Monk's Fruit)

Previously, I have used the fruit to cook with watercress soup whenever I have a sore throat. This herbal tea is easier to make and I can make it more regularly than the soup as a healthy herbal drink and thirst quencher. I also added a little of two of my favourite ingredients for herbal drink – namely American ginseng and chrysanthemum flowers. They complement the luo han guo well and make the drink extra cooling and delicious.

47 Responses to “Luo Han Guo Herbal Tea”

1 2 3 4
  1. Pepy @Indonesia Eats — September 17, 2010 @ 2:42 pm

I never see the real fruit of Luo Han Guo. But, I like drinking the tea everytime I have sore throat/cough since I was a kid. Thanks Wiffy for sharing the pics!

• Mai replied: — March 30th, 2012 @ 1:07 am

My son added milk and ice to the Lou Han tea. It taste so good and very refreshing.

• wiffy replied: — March 30th, 2012 @ 11:40 am

nice touch!

2. Christine@Christine's Recipes — September 17, 2010 @ 8:17 pm

Luo han guo has brought a hug wave in Hong Kong cooking. I received lots of emails spreading the mouth of words of this unique fruit, telling people that this fruit is very good to our health. Immediately, I bought a packet of Luo han guo and cooked watercress with it. :)

• wiffy replied: — September 21st, 2010 @ 6:47 pm

yes, it’s one of the few Chinese ingredient being termed as longevity food. It’s really healthy and I try to make this drink or the watercress soup once in a while :)

3. Anh — September 17, 2010 @ 8:40 pm

This is really interesting!

4. TasteHongKong — September 17, 2010 @ 9:47 pm

Sometimes, I just boil the luo han guo alone. If there are apples in my fruit basket, I’ll make it into a Luo Han Guo Apple Tea.
    Am with you as well, sugar is not that necessary.

• wiffy replied: — September 21st, 2010 @ 6:47 pm

Luo Han Guo Apple Tea sounds great! I must try to make it next time I have apples :)

5. Alice — September 17, 2010 @ 10:10 pm

Tell ya, this is my all time favourite drinks and I made for my family very often. But, this is the first time I read about adding ginseng and chrysanthemum flowers into it. What a great combination! I am going to try it the next time. You have also giving me the idea of putting the loh han guo in the soup bag! great idea! :D

• wiffy replied: — September 21st, 2010 @ 6:49 pm

Thanks Alice. I find luo han guo alone a bit boring and I saw some Chinese medical halls adding ginseng and chrysanthemum flowers. Makes the tea more cooling and aromatic. Hope you like it when you try it out :)

6. Ching @ Little Corner of Mine — September 18, 2010 @ 12:51 am

I so needed that drink right now. Thanks for sharing the recipe, next time if I see it in the Asian market, I need to buy and try it too. I love your stock bag, I hope I can find it here, it will be so convenient.

• wiffy replied: — September 21st, 2010 @ 6:49 pm

Hope you find it too. The stock bag is cheap and very handy to have especially for stews and soups. Save me hassle of sieving the ingredients.

7. tigerfish — September 18, 2010 @ 4:32 am

So good! With a treat to a spa and so good! with a natural soothing tea. All so good!

• wiffy replied: — September 21st, 2010 @ 6:50 pm

yes, I feel very pampered ^_^

8. Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets — September 18, 2010 @ 5:07 am

I just saw huo han guo at the Chinese store and was racking my brain to figure out what uses it has. This looks very nourishing.

9. Tastes of Home — September 18, 2010 @ 4:12 pm

Luo Hon Guo is so good for you, your tea with the chrysanthemum and ginseng sounds even more nourishing!

10. Jun Indochine Kitchen — September 18, 2010 @ 6:44 pm

I think I will definitely enjoy this. My mother makes one or the other. Never combine them together. I will let her know, she’ll like this.

Love your spice bag! Or soup stock bags

1 2 3