Pumpkin Soup in Pumpkin Bowl Recipe Teh C Peng "Special" Recipe Gula Melaka (Palm Sugar) Sambal Quail Eggs Recipe Braised Ee-Fu Noodles Recipe Teh 'C' Recipe

Luo Han Guo Herbal Tea

Luo Han Guo Herbal Tea Recipe

Check Out: Watercress Soup with Luo Han Guo Recipe

My mum treated me to a spa session some time back and one of the most memorable thing that happened (besides the massage, of course) is that they served a cup of delicious, home-brewed luo han guo (arhat fruit/monk’s fruit/罗汉果) herbal tea  (罗汉果凉茶) during the session. Maybe I haven’t been to many spas, but nowadays I seldom see them serving home-made drinks. According to my mum, they brew herbal teas every morning to serve their customers. Maybe it’s psychological, but I do feel healthy and refreshed drinking it especially coupled with the massage. So I decided to try making my own herbal tea at home.

Luo Han Guo (Monk's Fruit)

Previously, I have used the fruit to cook with watercress soup whenever I have a sore throat. This herbal tea is easier to make and I can make it more regularly than the soup as a healthy herbal drink and thirst quencher. I also added a little of two of my favourite ingredients for herbal drink – namely American ginseng and chrysanthemum flowers. They complement the luo han guo well and make the drink extra cooling and delicious.

47 Responses to “Luo Han Guo Herbal Tea”

1 2 3 4
  1. Pepy @Indonesia Eats — September 17, 2010 @ 2:42 pm

I never see the real fruit of Luo Han Guo. But, I like drinking the tea everytime I have sore throat/cough since I was a kid. Thanks Wiffy for sharing the pics!

• Mai replied: — March 30th, 2012 @ 1:07 am

My son added milk and ice to the Lou Han tea. It taste so good and very refreshing.

• wiffy replied: — March 30th, 2012 @ 11:40 am

nice touch!

2. Christine@Christine's Recipes — September 17, 2010 @ 8:17 pm

Luo han guo has brought a hug wave in Hong Kong cooking. I received lots of emails spreading the mouth of words of this unique fruit, telling people that this fruit is very good to our health. Immediately, I bought a packet of Luo han guo and cooked watercress with it. :)

• wiffy replied: — September 21st, 2010 @ 6:47 pm

yes, it’s one of the few Chinese ingredient being termed as longevity food. It’s really healthy and I try to make this drink or the watercress soup once in a while :)

3. Anh — September 17, 2010 @ 8:40 pm

This is really interesting!

4. TasteHongKong — September 17, 2010 @ 9:47 pm

Sometimes, I just boil the luo han guo alone. If there are apples in my fruit basket, I’ll make it into a Luo Han Guo Apple Tea.
    Am with you as well, sugar is not that necessary.

• wiffy replied: — September 21st, 2010 @ 6:47 pm

Luo Han Guo Apple Tea sounds great! I must try to make it next time I have apples :)

5. Alice — September 17, 2010 @ 10:10 pm

Tell ya, this is my all time favourite drinks and I made for my family very often. But, this is the first time I read about adding ginseng and chrysanthemum flowers into it. What a great combination! I am going to try it the next time. You have also giving me the idea of putting the loh han guo in the soup bag! great idea! :D

• wiffy replied: — September 21st, 2010 @ 6:49 pm

Thanks Alice. I find luo han guo alone a bit boring and I saw some Chinese medical halls adding ginseng and chrysanthemum flowers. Makes the tea more cooling and aromatic. Hope you like it when you try it out :)

6. Ching @ Little Corner of Mine — September 18, 2010 @ 12:51 am

I so needed that drink right now. Thanks for sharing the recipe, next time if I see it in the Asian market, I need to buy and try it too. I love your stock bag, I hope I can find it here, it will be so convenient.

• wiffy replied: — September 21st, 2010 @ 6:49 pm

Hope you find it too. The stock bag is cheap and very handy to have especially for stews and soups. Save me hassle of sieving the ingredients.

7. tigerfish — September 18, 2010 @ 4:32 am

So good! With a treat to a spa and so good! with a natural soothing tea. All so good!

• wiffy replied: — September 21st, 2010 @ 6:50 pm

yes, I feel very pampered ^_^

8. Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets — September 18, 2010 @ 5:07 am

I just saw huo han guo at the Chinese store and was racking my brain to figure out what uses it has. This looks very nourishing.

9. Tastes of Home — September 18, 2010 @ 4:12 pm

Luo Hon Guo is so good for you, your tea with the chrysanthemum and ginseng sounds even more nourishing!

10. Jun Indochine Kitchen — September 18, 2010 @ 6:44 pm

I think I will definitely enjoy this. My mother makes one or the other. Never combine them together. I will let her know, she’ll like this.

Love your spice bag! Or soup stock bags

1 2 3