Summer Rolls Recipe Pumpkin Soup in Pumpkin Bowl Recipe Teh C Peng "Special" Recipe Gula Melaka (Palm Sugar) Sambal Quail Eggs Recipe Braised Ee-Fu Noodles Recipe

Lotus Root Soup

Lotus Root Soup Recipe

Check Out: Watercress Soup Recipe

Lotus root with peanuts is one of my favourite Chinese soups. Lotus root and peanuts is a great pairing in soup, and personally I won’t cook if I ran out of peanuts. I love the texture of slightly crunchy peanuts so if you like softer ones, you will need to simmer the soup for a bit longer. There is nothing like a bowl of home-cooked Chinese soup to perk me up in the middle of the week.

Lotus Root Soup Recipe

47 Responses to “Lotus Root Soup”

1. chow lee Peng — June 8, 2011 @ 10:45 pm

I love pork rib lotus soup. Yummy yummy……
    especially added with octopus and dried scallops!
    You may also use sweet corn

2. mycookinghut — June 10, 2011 @ 5:24 am

My mom makes this soup a lot and she says it’s good for health! I grew up having this a lot ;)

3. Sherie @ maameemoomoo — June 10, 2011 @ 12:11 pm

My household’s monthly staple!

Love your addition of the dried scallops. ;)

4. kimberlycun — June 10, 2011 @ 6:52 pm

makes me crave for some homemade soup..so badly

5. pigpigscorner — June 11, 2011 @ 4:34 am

One of my favourtie soups!

6. I’ve tried lotus root soup using chicken instead of pork ribs and it’s simply not the same. Your version – much closer to the authentic one – looks and (I bet) fares much better. What a perfect soup for a cold, rainy afternoon meal. :)

7. jo — June 13, 2011 @ 8:46 pm

Wiffy, there is nothing like home-made cantonese soup! I bet this must have been very ‘sweet’ as there is so much liao. I can probably just have this with a bowl of rice and I do love eating the lotus root.

8. norma — June 13, 2011 @ 11:30 pm

I just purchased my first lotus root…now I can make something with it. Thanks so much for this recipe…

9. Pipana — June 14, 2011 @ 6:39 am

Hello, Wiffy ^^
    I was back in Singapore with my husband for a few days, and oh my, the trip was a total local dish galore LOL! XD
    We enjoyed lots lots lots of Singapore dishes like chili crab, drunken prawns, hong kong noodle and more!
    But we completely forgot about this lotus root soup!!! *cries*
    I will try to cook this here in Porto. Wish me luck!

• wiffy replied: — June 17th, 2011 @ 1:01 pm

wow, sounds like you had a foodful trip. Don’t worry, I think you ate the more famous Singaporean dishes… sounds like a feast. Have fun cooking the lotus root soup ^^

10. jur — June 26, 2011 @ 4:35 am

where to get the dried cuttlefish? if from medicinal halls, nowhere convenient..
    and how to handle the cuttlefish? need to clean ?

• wiffy replied: — June 26th, 2011 @ 1:54 pm

You can get from supermarket or market or dried provision stores. Just need to rinse before using.

• jur replied: — June 28th, 2011 @ 4:11 am

supermarket? under dried goods? i didn’t really see it before. put the whole piece in?

• wiffy replied: — June 28th, 2011 @ 11:28 am

ya … usually the place where they sell barley, seaweed etc…. Yes I put one piece.

• jur replied: — July 5th, 2011 @ 6:53 am

i went to check, is it “bian yu”?

• jur replied: — July 5th, 2011 @ 7:13 am

rehi, i looked through your recipes for a ‘vegetarian’ soup but did not see any. do you know any that i can use? i do not know if omitting those meats in your recipes will result a bland taste as most times meat / ribs / dried scallops are those that make the soup flavorful.

please advise. thanks

• jur replied: — July 14th, 2011 @ 3:40 pm

hi, please confirm is it “bian yu” as on the shelves so that i can go ahead and buy? thanks

• wiffy replied: — July 14th, 2011 @ 4:19 pm

Hi jur, I’m not sure the Chinese name. But I have just added a photo of the dried Octopus (see second photo). You can see if it looks like it.

• jur replied: — July 14th, 2011 @ 4:31 pm

thank you for your effort.

• sky cook replied: — October 21st, 2011 @ 11:46 pm

hi, jur,
                    it is NOT ‘bian yu’. this is a small dried fish.
                    dried squid is smaller , cantonese is called ‘ yu yi’
                    Octopus is different from a squid !