Snowskin Mooncakes Recipe Birthday Mee Sua (Longevity Noodles) Recipe Mum's Egg Mee Sua Recipe Traditional Baked Mooncakes Recipe Ottogi Korean Cheese Ramen Foochow Red Wine Mee Sua Recipe

Klang Bak Kut Teh

Klang Bak Kut Teh

Check Out: Claypot Recipes

I recently went on a short weekend getaway to Malacca, and brought home some Klang Bak Kut Teh (bkt) spice mix. I know I’m not in Klang, but I reckon I have a high chance of buying it in Malaysia. I absolutely love Malaysian-style (not just Klang-style) bak kut teh because of the herbal taste and the generous ingredients in it compared to our local style: usually there will be tau kee (beancurd sticks), liver, intestines, mushrooms and more. Cooking bak kut teh is easy with ready spice mix. I added enoki mushrooms, canned straw mushrooms, tau kee and tau pok in my home-version.

Klang Bak Kut Teh (Sides & Condiments)To me, to enjoy a truly satisfying klang bak kut teh, the side condiments are important. I had mine with minced garlic, dark soy sauce, sliced chilli padi and you tiao (fried fritters).

26 Responses to “Klang Bak Kut Teh”

1. Michelle Hui — September 24, 2012 @ 8:08 pm

Hi Wiffy,
    Thanks for sharing this!
    I used to only enjoy peppery BKT but ever since I tried Leong Kee (Klang) bak kut teh at Beach Rd, I love the herbal soup with tau Kee n intestines! Oh plus freshly chopped garlic! I would love to get hold of the ready mix spices if available in Spore!
    Michelle

• wiffy replied: — September 24th, 2012 @ 8:23 pm

coincidentally, Leong Kee is my to-go list for some time! sounds delicious! You can try ordering the bkt spices from gmarket.com.sg

2. Angie — September 24, 2012 @ 8:42 pm

Hi there, may I know where to get the wrinkled type of tau kee? Those I found in supermarkets are always the smooth type. Thanks in advance! :D

• wiffy replied: — September 24th, 2012 @ 9:06 pm

I got it from the dried goods stall located at the wet market in my neighbourhood. Hope you find it!

• Angie replied: — September 25th, 2012 @ 9:50 pm

Thanks for the info! Shall go to the wet market to search :)

3. Ann@Anncoo Journal — September 24, 2012 @ 10:13 pm

Oh! I tried this Klang bak kut teh before. It’s very delicious!

4. Nancy — September 24, 2012 @ 10:54 pm

Where in Malacca did u buy the bkt spice mix from? I’m taking a trip there next mth. Hope to be able to buy it n give it a try.

• wiffy replied: — September 25th, 2012 @ 11:16 am

I am not 100% sure, but the provision shop name could be “Chop Chua Soon Huat” http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/bff6/138f11/4/?o=3

It’s a corner shop, located in one of the alleys from the famous Jonker Walk.

• Nancy replied: — September 25th, 2012 @ 12:27 pm

Thanks for the info. Will try to find it when I’m there. :))))

5. tigerfish — September 25, 2012 @ 4:13 am

I very seldom (or never?) had Malaysia-style BKT. Seems that this style of BKT can be loaded with ingredients :)

I like that you make the whole set of BKT so complete when it comes to cooking it at home – from the You Tiao to the dark soy sauce and chili padi!

6. HoppingHammy — September 25, 2012 @ 4:46 am

This dish is so foreign to me, but it looks beautiful! You’re so lucky to travel to so many different places to try out new foods and get ideas for your recipes. :) Keep up the great work!

7. Esther — September 25, 2012 @ 2:24 pm

I hv been looking for the Mo Sang Kor restaurants to try too, but unfortunately the one nearest to myhouse has closed down. Now i know they also sell theirown premix :) did you buy those condiment dishes in Jonker Street? I hv the same ones too :)

8. Felicia — September 25, 2012 @ 3:14 pm

Hi Wiffy
    Is it possible to post the image of the klang bak kut teh spice mix / Mo Sang Kor? Do they sell it in Singapore? Need to hunt for it leh …
    Felicia

• wiffy replied: — September 25th, 2012 @ 3:23 pm

Hi Felicia, check out page two of this recipe, it comes with the photos and more information. There is an on-going giveaway on the facebook page to win the bak kut teh spices, check it out at http://www.facebook.com/noobcook =)

• Felicia replied: — September 25th, 2012 @ 4:14 pm

Hahaha … too excited to find out and missed out your page 2! Thanks! Ok, will ask my good friend to buy when they go home for holidays ;o).

9. LCOM — September 26, 2012 @ 7:40 am

I love Klang BBT for the herbal taste too, looks delicious!

10. Nasi lemak Lover — September 27, 2012 @ 6:25 pm

毛山稿肉骨茶 just very near my house, hehehe..we very often having BKT for breakfast, lunch and dinner, Klang people is like that,hahaha..Your BKT meal look exactly like 毛山稿肉骨茶 shop.

• wiffy replied: — September 28th, 2012 @ 10:39 am