Kimchi Soup (Kimchi Jigae)
Kimchi Soup (Kimchi Jigae) Recipe
This recipe uses pork, but feel free to tweak it with your favourite ingredients. You may also do a short-cut version of this recipe using instant soup stock.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
- 300 grams boneless pork loin cubed
- 300 grams kimchi preferably aged (including kimchi juice) cut to bite-sized lengths
- 2 tbsp gochujang (Korean chilli paste)
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder or substitute with 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp Chinese wine
- 1/2 tsp light soy sauce
- 50 grams anchovies (ikan bilis), rinsed or substitute with 10 Korean anchovies
- 1 litre water
- 1/2 leek sliced thinly
- 1/2 tsp gochugaru (Korean hot chilli pepper powder) to taste
- 300 grams firm tofu cubed
- fish sauce or light soy sauce to taste
- Marinade pork and kimchi with gochujang, sesame oil, garlic, Chinese wine and light soy sauce for at least half hour.
- In a soup pot, add anchovies (sealed in a disposable soup pouch), marinaded meat prepared in step 1, leeks and gochugaru. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add cubed tofu and simmer for another 8-10 minutes. Season to taste with fish sauce or light soy sauce.