Kimchi Fried Rice (Kimchi Bokkeumbap)
Kimchi Fried Rice
You can add chicken and beef to this basic kimchi fried rice recipe. This fried rice tastes great on its own or with other Korean banchan (side dishes).
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup kimchi chopped to smaller, bite-sized pieces
- cooked short-grain rice cook 1 cup washed rice with 1 cup water in rice cooker; refrigerate overnight
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- fried egg(s)/ sunny side up egg(s)
- 1 tbsp chopped spring onions
- 1 tbsp pine nuts roasted in a dry pan until lightly browned
(A) Sauce (In a small bowl, mix well to dissolve into a smooth paste)
- 1 tbsp gochujang (Korean chilli paste)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp kimchi juice (from the bottle of kimchi)
- To make sunny side up eggs, heat and grease a cooking pan. Crack the egg(s) into the pan, taking care not to break the yolk. Cook until the yolk is just set, about 1-2 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat oil in wok. Stir fry garlic for 30 seconds. Add kimchi, cover with lid and simmer for 1 minute.
- Add rice and pour (A) over the rice. Stir fry on high heat until the rice is dry and absorbs the sauce evenly.
- Portion the fried rice to individual serving bowls or a Korean stone bowl for communal sharing. Drizzle sesame oil over the rice. Garnish with fried egg, spring onions and pine nuts.