Easy Waffles Recipe Samyang Fried Chicken Ramyun Air-fried Vegetarian Zai Er Recipe Ipoh Hor Fun Recipe Durian Cream Puff Recipe Ham and Cheese Egg Roll Recipe

Kaya Toast

Kaya Toast Recipe

Check Out: Half-Boiled Egg Recipe

I’m not a bread person but kaya toast is an exception. To me, it’s a treat to wake up to a traditional Singapore breakfast with kaya toast, teh/kopi and half-boiled eggs. This type of breakfast is common in my childhood in traditional coffeshops and then it died off for a few years until Ya Kun made it hip and popular again by setting up trendy joints all over town. I love that it is so easy and cheap to put together at home so that I can enjoy it on a lazy weekend morning, in the comfort of my home. Sorry, no recipe for making kaya or bread, I’m just putting the sandwich together. Next time if I do learn to make my own kaya, I’ll post the recipe.

Kaya Toast Recipe

For best results, buy the bread from a traditional bakery where the bread is longish (not square) and the bread skin has already been trimmed. The bread is usually softer and fluffier in texture but they don’t keep very long due to a lack of preservatives (which is a good thing). These bread are usually available in rainbow, brown or white and I use brown (preferred) or white bread for kaya toast. If you’re using normal white bread bought from supermarkets, trim away the edges (with the skin) of the bread before toasting.

42 Responses to “Kaya Toast”

1. Little Corner of Mine — October 26, 2010 @ 1:09 am

That’s one of Malaysian favorite breakfast too. Seeing yours, I am starting to miss the Pandan kaya.

2. mycookinghut — October 26, 2010 @ 1:44 am

A true classic!

3. tigerfish — October 26, 2010 @ 3:09 am

Have not made these in a while. You even have that set of kopi cup and saucer….wah!

4. Reeni — October 26, 2010 @ 7:02 am

I never had this but it sounds absolutely delicious! I could eat it anytime!

5. Christine@Christine's Recipes — October 26, 2010 @ 8:18 am

Our family can’t live a day without bread. We eat all kinds of bread. :)
    I haven’t had kaya spread for bread for ages. The chefs in HK restaurants like using kaya spread on French toast. Yummy.

• wiffy replied: — November 5th, 2010 @ 1:28 pm

kaya on french toast sounds divine :)

6. baobabs — October 26, 2010 @ 9:54 am

one of the things I really miss about home is that soft bread… I could carry all the bottles of kaya in my suitcase but I don’t have the bread or ‘sock’ coffee to go with my half boiled eggs!! love the photos!

• wiffy replied: — November 5th, 2010 @ 1:30 pm

Thanks! You can make it with normal bread and the ‘sock’ coffee can just use filter bags? ;)

7. Joyce — October 26, 2010 @ 10:33 am

I am not a big kaya fan however I do have a perculiar habit of making it a yearly affair to eat one bottle of kaya and being done with it for the rest of the year. I like my kaya overflowing out of my bread and swiping the drippings of the kaya on my countertop with my fingers and then unhygenically licking my fingers. Yup…can get away with it bcos no ones looking. Oh wait the dogs are looking but they want in! so its ok….

• wiffy replied: — November 5th, 2010 @ 1:28 pm

one bottle of kaya at one go? I like your yearly ritual ;p

8. Jess @ Bakericious — October 26, 2010 @ 12:50 pm

Wiffy, this is my favourite breakfast, you are making me craving for it now.

9. April — October 26, 2010 @ 1:54 pm

That looks lovely ~ I will eat anything made with coconut ANYTHING! I’ve never had kaya but look forward to this treat.

WHERE to I get dishes like that kopi cup and saucer set?!? That is just darling!

• wiffy replied: — November 5th, 2010 @ 1:31 pm

sorry for my late reply. I got it from a shop selling all kinds of Asian plates, cutleries at AMK central … not sure the exact address, but if you walk around AMK central you won’t miss it coz quite a big shop :)

10. Jun — October 26, 2010 @ 11:12 pm

This is amazing! I think nobody in any country in the world can out-do Singaporeans in kaya toast and soft-boiled egg!

Great pictures!