Dijon Honey Chicken Wings Recipe Beef Claypot Rice Recipe How to Make Grated Ginger Juice Ginger Grater Singapore Char Kway Teow Recipe Philips Airfryer Giveaway

Japanese Curry

Japanese Curry
Curry & rice … a great weekday meal

This is a quick, easy and fail-safe meal to make. It is a great choice for busy weekday nights, when I want to cook something but do not want to think too hard about how/what to cook. For those who do not take spicy foods, this curry is perfect for you because it is not spicy at all, in fact it is totally sweet. You can add a little spicy chilli powder (I use R.S.T’s Queen of Chilli) if you like that added fiery kick. Making Japanese curry at home is fun to me because authentic Japanese curry that are served in Japanese eateries is sweet and I like that I can make it spicier at home to suit my own preference. I was inspired to make this after seeing how Mochachocolatarita whip up hers so effortlessly in her kitchen. So nowadays I always have the curry spice in my pantry for emergencies. This version I whipped up is with chicken, carrots, potatoes and onions, you can be creative and experiment with all kinds of ingredients.

How to cook Japanese curry
Japanese curry sauce mix

Ingredients
(Serves 3)

- 100g of Japanese curry cubes (I use S&B brand, 4 cubes which is half box, as shown in the photo above)
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut to small chunks
- 1 potato, peeled and cut to small chunks
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 200 to 300g boneless chicken fillet, cut to large chunks
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 700ml water

Directions

How to cook Japanese curry
1. Heat pot with oil. Add onions and cook till they are soft. Set aside on a plate and return the onions at step 4 (I am using a wok so I just push them to one side of the wok).

How to cook Japanese curry
2. Place chicken pieces (you should cut them bigger than mine because mine is too small) in a single layer in the wok. Let the chicken pieces brown on one side (do not toss and turn or stir fry it). This will allow extra flavours to be released.

How to cook Japanese curry
3. After one side of the chicken is browned, turn them to the other side using a pair of kitchen tongs and again, cooked till the pieces are browned. Add potato and carrot chunks, mix everything evenly.

How to cook Japanese curry

How to cook Japanese curry
4. Add water and bring to a boil. Simmer for about 20 minutes (with lid partially closed; mine is fully closed because it has an air vent) or till potatoes are cooked.

How to cook Japanese curry
5. Add the Japanese curry cubes and stir through till dissolved. Because both the curry mix and the potatoes are starchy, at this point in time you probably need to add more water to achieve the consistency you like. Season it to taste if desired (example adding sauces or chilli powder). Warm through the curry before serving.

Japanese Curry
Final product – easy Japanese curry meal, served with rice

101 Responses to “Japanese Curry”

1. MrJingjong — April 15, 2010 @ 1:16 am

S&B is the best brand I’ve tried so far.

2. Hehe, I am making this tonight : ) I find too, cutting the chicken and onion in larger pieces taste nicer. Do you find the ones in Japanese restos have more sauce than other ingredients? I also like sautee with some garlic too : )

• wiffy replied: — April 26th, 2010 @ 6:29 pm

hope you enjoy your dinner tonight :) Yes I think cutting the chicken to bigger pieces is nicer, they shrunk considerably after cooking. Yes the curry at Japanese restaurants is usually more sauce than ingredients; at home, it’s the other way round ;)

3. Miss B — May 7, 2010 @ 5:26 am

I like ur step-by-step guide, unfortunately i don’t have jap curry paste where i am living :(

4. aapricott — May 8, 2010 @ 1:12 pm

I just made this dish! It’s really so simple!
    Got quite a bit of the curry left and im gonna buy some Udon and have Curry Udon tonight!!

Thanks for the great recepie!

• wiffy replied: — May 10th, 2010 @ 5:35 pm

what a great idea – curry udon! I’m gonna try your idea next time I have leftover curry. Thanks for your nice comment :)

5. jane — May 15, 2010 @ 9:43 pm

This is my favourite dish too!
    I’m a CMI chef, but this ‘recipe’ never fails me ^^

• wiffy replied: — June 14th, 2010 @ 12:42 pm

yes, agree this is a fail-proof curry recipe :)

6. Sayyidah — June 12, 2010 @ 11:17 pm

Looks yummy!I’ve always craving for japanese curry but too lazy to cook.I heard that some people put chunked apples or bananas in japanese curry.I wonder how it taste like…..fruit+curry=??

• wiffy replied: — June 14th, 2010 @ 12:43 pm

I haven’t tried it before but I think red apples and japanese curry sounds quite yummy :)

7. Yi — August 22, 2010 @ 9:30 pm

Hey, me have been browsing your website recently.
    I like your simple recipes for a cooking noob like me.
    Very nice pictures for all other recipes & this yummy look japanese curry. *shiok*
    Ever wounder how to cook this at home, but now i got the idea from here. Would like to try curry seafood with angel hair pasta….. what u think? hehehe

8. FioRay — September 16, 2010 @ 11:33 pm

Wow… Simple and yummy recipe… is it spicy?

9. Anna Leong — November 3, 2010 @ 8:39 pm

btw~ can i ask~ where did you buy the curry cubes from? i cant find them TT___TT

• wiffy replied: — November 5th, 2010 @ 1:37 pm

Hi Anna, I’m not sure where you are from. I’m in Singapore, see it quite often from Japanese sections of major supermarkets such as Cold Storage and NTUC…

10. Anna Leong — November 8, 2010 @ 6:57 pm