Japanese Curry Recipe
Add the Japanese curry cubes only at the last stage of cooking - when the beef, carrots and potatoes are thoroughly cooked.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 300g boneless chicken fillet cut to large chunks
- 1 large onion roughly chopped
- 1 potato peeled and cut to small chunks
- 2 carrots peeled and cut to small chunks
- 1 litre water
- 100g of instant Japanese curry sauce (I use S&B brand, 4 cubes which is half box)
- chopped spring onions
- beni shoga (picked red ginger)
You also need
- 3 litre capacity casserole (e.g. Dutch oven, soup pot, wok pan)
- Heat casserole with 1 tbsp oil. When the oil is heated, brown chicken in batches until evenly browned, taking care not to overcrowd the meat in the casserole. Do not discard the brown bits or juices collected in the casserole. Set aside.
- Add the remaining oil and cook onions on medium heat until they are soft and translucent.
- Add potatoes, carrots, browned chicken and water. Bring to a simmer for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked.
- Add the instant Japanese curry cubes and stir through until they are dissolved. Adjust the consistency of the curry (simmer for a few more minutes if too watery; add water if the curry is too thick). Season to taste if necessary (example salt, dashi, soy sauce, fish sauce or chilli powder; I usually do not add further seasonings as the instant curry sauce is already nicely seasoned).
- Serve curry with rice and top with some spring onions and beni shoga for garnishing.
Noob Cook Tip
To cook Japanese rice to go with the curry, first wash rice until the water runs clear. Drain the rice and add to rice cooker with equal ratio of rice to water (1:1). Cook in rice cooker.