Summer Rolls Recipe Pumpkin Soup in Pumpkin Bowl Recipe Teh C Peng "Special" Recipe Gula Melaka (Palm Sugar) Sambal Quail Eggs Recipe Braised Ee-Fu Noodles Recipe

Insanely Hot Chilli Padi Dip

Chilli Padi Dip
Some like it insanely hot: My home made chilli padi dip

When I name my recipes, I’m always unimaginative and factual. Call a yam rice, yam rice and a chocolate lava cake, chocolate lava cake. With the same principles in mind, I am naming this dip an “insanely hot chilli dip” because that is exactly what it is. This chilli sauce is really potent because it is primarily made up of seeds-on chilli padi (bird’s eye chili). It is so hot that it is almost mindless – even though my nose was running and my eyes were tearing from dipping my foods in it (not a pretty sight), I still persisted because it is so shiok (Singapore slang; satisfaction for eating something yummy). I love to make this easy chilli dip for steamboat, specifically for dipping shabu shabu meat slices.

Chilli Padi Dip
Dipping shabu shabu meat slices in this spicy chilli padi sauce

Want to try it out but can’t take the heat? You can de-seed the chilli (wear disposable plastic gloves to prevent chilli burn) and it will be manageable. I did that once and my guests do not find this chilli dip spicy at all. But if you leave the seeds on, and increase the number of chilli padi used, I dare say this dip is not for the faint hearted. You can adjust the heat of the dip by adjusting the number of chilli padi used (the more the hotter), and so I think the heat meter has no limit. My fiery threshold is 10-12 chilli padi (with a box of tissue next to me), what is yours?

Good news for chilli lovers – chilli is said to contain high levels of Vitamin C and can boost metabolism rate.

Ingredients

- 10 chilli padi (bird’s eyes chilli), sliced (adjust according to how hot you like)
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- juice of 2-3 limes
- 1 tsp sesame oil

Directions
1. Using a food blender, blend chilli padi and garlic cloves together for a few seconds. Scrap out the contents using a spoon to a small bowl.
2. Add light soy sauce, sesame oil and lime juice to taste.

Chilli Padi Dip

53 Responses to “Insanely Hot Chilli Padi Dip”

1. Nice to learn another chili sauce, I love spicy food recently : )

2. peachkins — March 2, 2010 @ 7:22 pm

I’m lovin’ the looks of this dip!

3. Bob — March 3, 2010 @ 4:52 am

I don’t know if I could handle that, but I would totally try. I love spicy!

4. Juliana — March 3, 2010 @ 5:51 am

This i a kind of sauce that is always good to have around :-) Although I’d make my less hot ;-)

5. HoppingHammy — March 3, 2010 @ 10:19 am

So *that’s* what that is!! I’ve seen this at a few restaurants, but didn’t dare to try it. It looks so yummy, and I like dishes with a bit of spice (though this one sounds pretty dangerous lol!)

Once again your photos are getting better and better all the time!

• wiffy replied: — March 4th, 2010 @ 2:49 pm

yes this sauce is really potent and dangerous lol … you should try something milder if you are not accustomed to eating spicy foods hehe

Thanks so much for your encouragement! Love ya ;)

6. Susan — March 3, 2010 @ 9:46 pm

Insanely hot? Bring it on! If bird’s eye chiles are as incendiary as habaneros, this might blow my head off :vangry:, but it’s worth at least a taste. Stunning shots, Wiffy.

• wiffy replied: — March 4th, 2010 @ 2:50 pm

haha love your sporting nature … yes you are right though that it’s worth a try ;) Thanks for your nice words Susan :)

7. Joyce — March 4, 2010 @ 2:13 pm

Looks like something to eat when my face is congested from a cold. I love anything spicy and throat burning when I down with the flu and I’m all stuffy. Gives me relief.

8. Pei-Lin — March 5, 2010 @ 1:06 am

LOL! I love how you go about with your write-up here! Your insanely hot cili padi dip sure looks shiok!! Never thought of eating it with shabu-shabu. Creative!

9. Kitchen Butterfly — March 5, 2010 @ 5:01 am

It looks insanely perfect for meats….and other insanely delicious stuff!

10. Dee — April 23, 2010 @ 7:28 am

You’re a woman after my own heart! I’ve never been defeated by chile, and I love how it immediately clears your head.