Snowskin Mooncakes Recipe Birthday Mee Sua (Longevity Noodles) Recipe Mum's Egg Mee Sua Recipe Traditional Baked Mooncakes Recipe Ottogi Korean Cheese Ramen Foochow Red Wine Mee Sua Recipe

Imitation Shark Fin Soup (Fake Fin Soup)

Imitation Shark Fin Soup Recipe

Check Out: Sharks Fin Melon Soup

Chinese New Year is a time when families celebrating the occasion get together and indulge in some serious feasting. Nowadays, with society getting more affluent, the food is also getting more elaborate – for example, a luxurious pot of shark fin soup is no longer a rare sight on the dining table. I have avoided shark fin soup due to the cruelty of shark finning and how it had led to a drastic decline in the shark population. I have nothing against those who consume this Chinese delicacy though, nor do I want to be hypocritical about it since I’m not a vegetarian. However, since I have full control over what I cook at home, I prefer to cook imitation shark fin soup where the fake fin is essentially made with gelatin.

Imitation Shark Fin Soup Recipe

For those who have tasted the real shark fin soup before, you may agree with me that the fin is largely tasteless, with the flavour contributed by the rich soup broth. While imitation shark fin may lose out slightly in terms of texture to the real thing, the firm texture of the imitation fin still gives it a good bite. Best of all, it cost a tiny fraction of the price (I bought a packet for less than S$10) and it is a much kinder option you can consider amidst this festive season.

47 Responses to “Imitation Shark Fin Soup (Fake Fin Soup)”

1. Jess @ Bakericious — January 17, 2011 @ 5:01 pm

looks like real and yummy!

2. maameemoomoo — January 19, 2011 @ 4:20 pm

I like you already!! Not that i don’t like u before :P

Would love to cook this for my family during CNY!

3. Carolyn Jung — January 20, 2011 @ 12:34 am

I’m so glad they’re offering a substitute like this now. As a newspaper reporter, I remember writing about the shark fin controversy and how fishermen just slice off the fins and throw the sharks back in the water to die. Shark fin really doesn’t have any taste; it’s all about the texture. So, it’s great that there’s a way to enjoy it without decimating the shark population.

• wiffy replied: — January 31st, 2011 @ 12:35 pm

Thanks for your note – I’ve been to your webby and I loved it :)

4. Yvonne — January 28, 2011 @ 3:47 pm

hi i happened to search in google on how to make yu sheng & found your website.

really love your website.

browsing thru all the receipes. going to try out a few dishes during CNY.

esp this 碗仔翅.

thank you for sharing.

• wiffy replied: — January 31st, 2011 @ 12:34 pm

happy cooking, I hope you enjoy the recipes and thanks for your note :)

5. Jan — January 31, 2011 @ 6:06 am

Hi,
    Thanks for sharing the recipe. Looks great!! Can I chk where can I get the imitation shark fin? Can’t get them on various supermarket.
    Thanks.

• wiffy replied: — January 31st, 2011 @ 12:34 pm

This year I’m seeing this imitation shark fin less frequently than last’s. I got mine from Tampines Mall (frozen section). I heard that Shing Sheong supermaket has it but I’m not sure because I haven’t been there this period. If you really can’t find, you can also substitute with some glass noodles (tang hoon) – soak in water to soften first and add at the last step. Hope this helps and you will enjoy the recipe :)

6. Veronica — February 8, 2011 @ 2:53 pm

Hi. Where can I get the imitation shark fin in singapore? Thanks

• wiffy replied: — February 9th, 2011 @ 12:44 am

Hi Veronica, I bought mine at NTUC, Tampines Mall outlet. In fact I just bought another pack tonight coz there’s S$2 off (limited time promo).

7. Wendy — February 23, 2011 @ 1:38 pm

I cannot locate any imitation shark fins in Los Angeles Chinese markets. I wonder if you would like sharing the manufacturer/distributor information from your package.

8. sheri — April 18, 2011 @ 12:49 am

My package of imitation shark fin says “do not refreeze after thawing”
    so do i just leave it in the fridge after thawing?

• wiffy replied: — April 18th, 2011 @ 1:23 pm

yes, and best to use within 1-2 days after thawing.

9. Barbara Soares — November 29, 2011 @ 9:13 pm

Olá… onde posso encontrar esses ingredientes aqui em Portugal?
    Obrigado.

10. Martin — February 14, 2012 @ 4:38 pm

I love the look of your soup.. I have been making the sharkfin broth from simmered fish heads with corn starch and ve-tsin for years, and never told anybody till now.. grins