Overnight Oats Recipe Som Tam (Papaya Salad) Recipe Cincalok Egg Recipe Sambal Okra Stir-fry Recipe Beef Bulgogi Recipe Multigrain Rice Recipe

Imitation Shark Fin Soup (Fake Fin Soup)

Imitation Shark Fin Soup Recipe

Check Out: Sharks Fin Melon Soup

Chinese New Year is a time when families celebrating the occasion get together and indulge in some serious feasting. Nowadays, with society getting more affluent, the food is also getting more elaborate – for example, a luxurious pot of shark fin soup is no longer a rare sight on the dining table. I have avoided shark fin soup due to the cruelty of shark finning and how it had led to a drastic decline in the shark population. I have nothing against those who consume this Chinese delicacy though, nor do I want to be hypocritical about it since I’m not a vegetarian. However, since I have full control over what I cook at home, I prefer to cook imitation shark fin soup where the fake fin is essentially made with gelatin.

Imitation Shark Fin Soup Recipe

For those who have tasted the real shark fin soup before, you may agree with me that the fin is largely tasteless, with the flavour contributed by the rich soup broth. While imitation shark fin may lose out slightly in terms of texture to the real thing, the firm texture of the imitation fin still gives it a good bite. Best of all, it cost a tiny fraction of the price (I bought a packet for less than S$10) and it is a much kinder option you can consider amidst this festive season.

47 Responses to “Imitation Shark Fin Soup (Fake Fin Soup)”

1 2 3 4
  1. Woolly — January 14, 2011 @ 12:01 pm

Looks yummy! Are u cooking this for the reunion dinner?

• wiffy replied: — January 17th, 2011 @ 10:12 pm

I still haven’t decided what to cook for reunion dinner, maybe fish maw soup instead of this :p

2. Wandering Chopsticks — January 14, 2011 @ 12:30 pm

From the title, I thought you’d use shark fin melon, which I found after seeing it on your blog. I like the fake stuff too.

• wiffy replied: — January 17th, 2011 @ 10:13 pm

wow you still remember my shark fin melon soup ♥

3. emy@thehandiworks — January 14, 2011 @ 12:55 pm

I think I’m gonna try making this! Love shark’s fin soup!

4. tigerfish — January 14, 2011 @ 1:46 pm

Too much (real) sharks fin = too much mercury! And mercury accumulates in our bodies :O ….good alternative to use imitation sharks fin. I wonder if Tang Hoon works – cos it looks like Tang Hoon from the photos ;p

• wiffy replied: — January 17th, 2011 @ 10:13 pm

yes tang hoon will work too! just that not as firm :p

5. The Sudden Cook — January 14, 2011 @ 4:19 pm

Oh yum – great post – I think this is the first recipe I’ve ever read of the dish. I do enjoy it. Usually have my fair share at wedding dinners.

6. daphne — January 14, 2011 @ 5:44 pm

that is so true. My grandma uses it too and the result is like yours. it’s still as tasty!

7. MaryMoh — January 14, 2011 @ 6:41 pm

That looks interesting. I would go for the imitation ones too….so much cheaper. You have made your dish look just like the real thing :D

8. anncoo — January 14, 2011 @ 9:45 pm

This is already good enough. Looks real and delicious :)

9. Gertrude — January 14, 2011 @ 10:03 pm

I bought a packet of imitation shark fins two years ago and it is still sitting in the freezer. Not sure what to do with. I think it is time to cook this soup for the coming CNY. Thanks for sharing it.

• wiffy replied: — January 17th, 2011 @ 10:14 pm

time to put it to good use :)

10. lisaiscooking — January 14, 2011 @ 10:25 pm

I’ve always been curious about shark’s fin soup, and I’m glad to hear there’s an alternative. The crab and mushrooms sound delicious in it!

1 2 3 4