Imitation Shark Fin Soup (Fake Fin Soup)
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Imitation Shark Fin Soup Recipe
I bought the imitation shark fin (frozen) at NTUC, Singapore. You may only find it at selected (bigger) outlets, or seasonally (during Chinese New Year).
- 500g imitation shark fin (shark’s fin)
- boiling water
- 700ml chicken stock either instant or home-made
- 4 dried black fungus soaked in hot water to soften, discard the hard part on the centre underside of the fungus and sliced thinly
- 4 fresh shiitake mushrooms stalks trimmed and caps sliced thinly if using dried Chinese mushrooms, soak in hot water to soften before use
- 250g cooked crab meat if using frozen, thaw before use
- cornstarch solution combine 2 heaped tbsp corn flour with 4 tbsp water
- salt or light soy sauce to taste
- white pepper powder
- black vinegar
- blanched beansprouts optional
- shredded chicken boil a piece of chicken breast for about 15 minutes, shred when the chicken is cooled
- Place imitation shark fins in a wide and deep plate. Blanch the fins by pouring boiling water over it and leaving it covered for about 5 minutes. Discard water, drain the fins and set aside.
- Bring chicken broth to boil in a pot. Add sliced black fungus and sliced mushrooms, and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add crab meat and blanched sharks fin. Bring to a simmer for another 3 minutes.
- Before using cornstarch solution, stir again to dissolve cornflour in the mixture. Slowly pour in the cornstarch solution while stirring until you reach the consistency desired. For thicker and starchier soup, add more cornstarch solution; for a more watery and soupy consistency, add more broth. Season with salt, light soy sauce or other seasonings if needed.
- Dish the soup to serving bowls and serve on the side – coriander, white pepper, black vinegar and optionally, blanched beansprouts and shredded chicken.