Summer Rolls Recipe Pumpkin Soup in Pumpkin Bowl Recipe Teh C Peng "Special" Recipe Gula Melaka (Palm Sugar) Sambal Quail Eggs Recipe Braised Ee-Fu Noodles Recipe

Ikan Bilis Powder

Ikan bilis powder

One of most rewarding things about keeping a recipes blog is that I get to learn many neat tricks and tips from my readers. When I posted my recipe for ikan bilis (anchovies) stock a while back, a reader lynette shared this awesome idea:

“I hate the freezer space that the anchovies takes so I bake them and then use the blender to turn them into ikan bilis powder. It’s my secret ingredient to all my soups. A giant plastic bag turns into a handy small jar. We use the ikan bilis that has been cleaned (i.e. without the heads and entrails) as it has a lower cholesterol content but retains its calcium value.”

You May Also Like: Ikan Bilis Stock Recipe

and then adding on to this comment, another reader jsager shared:

“With ikan bilis in powder form, there is no waste or boiled-out ikan bilis to throw away. More importantly, if the backbone has not been removed (as happens in some of the super clean ikan bilis you find in the stores nowadays), you will get a very healthy dose of good calcium, that most of us are short of.”

Grinder Blades

Grinder Blades

I was sold. I embarked on making the ikan bilis powder with the help of my oven and electric grinder, finding the process satisfying and effortlessly easy. This is a great condiment for porridge (baby food!) and also a secret ingredient for many Chinese dishes, particularly soup and stir fries. These ikan bilis have a naturally sweet and salty taste that complements many types of savoury dishes.

Printable Recipe >>

(with oven temperature, measurements and printable view)

Step by Step Description
Rinsing Ikan Bilis (Anchovies) First, rinse the ikan bilis (anchovies) in a few changes of water. This will reduce the excess saltiness. Ikan bilis come in vary degrees of saltiness depending on the type you buy and as a general guide, I recommend rinsing them in two changes of water; but if your ikan bilis is the extra-salty variety, you may need another 1-2 rinses. At the same time, do not over-rinse the ikan bilis; the ikan bilis powder needs to be quite salty to work its magic as a seasoning condiment.
Baking Ikan Bilis After washing the ikan bilis, pat dry on paper towels and arrange them one flat layer on a baking tray. For best results, allow to air dry before baking in the oven.
4982990168_011f96627c_o Bake the ikan bilis in the oven for about 10 – 15 minutes (oven temperature are at the printable recipe on page two; link above), until the ikan bilis have just turned a light brown shade (see above). Use a spatula to stir and spread them evenly.
Baked Ikan Bilis Return to oven and continue baking for another 10 minutes, or until the ikan bilis turn a shade of golden brown, as seen in the photo above. At this point, they are crispy and makes a great snack or a savoury topping for many Chinese dishes.
Grinder Pulse the baked ikan bilis in an electric grinder until they become powder. If you do not have an electric grinder, you can see a mortar and pestle to pound them.
Ikan Bilis Powder What you get is fine ikan bilis powder which is very versatile – you can use it as a condiment for plain porridge or as a secret seasoning ingredient in many types of dishes (such as soups and stir fries). Store in an air tight container in a cool and dry place (such as the fridge).

84 Responses to “Ikan Bilis Powder”

1. daphne — September 13, 2010 @ 8:12 am

U made it look really really simple and doable! now i know the secret to tasty soup!!!!! Thanks for sharing =)

• wiffy replied: — September 13th, 2010 @ 10:40 pm

yes, definitely very do-able. Noob-proof! :D

2. masterofboots — September 13, 2010 @ 8:29 am

great! i had been wondering how to make ikan bilis crisp and brown without deep frying them. now i know. thanks!

• wiffy replied: — September 13th, 2010 @ 10:41 pm

yes, baking them is much healthier and easier than deep frying :)

3. Little Inbox — September 13, 2010 @ 10:27 am

This is a great tips. Do you have any idea how long it can last?

• wiffy replied: — September 13th, 2010 @ 10:42 pm

It never lasted very long in my pantry for me to find out haha … but I’m guessing since it’s salty, it should last for a good few weeks if you store it air-tight in the fridge.

4. MaryMoh — September 13, 2010 @ 12:11 pm

Thanks very much for sharing the step by step way to make ikan bilis powder. I wish I can get those clean ones here. I love to use them in soups.

• wiffy replied: — September 13th, 2010 @ 10:42 pm

Hope you will find them in Chinatown or an Asian grocery stall :)

5. winifredrose — September 13, 2010 @ 2:08 pm

wts the brand name of the blender u r using? tnks

6. winifredrose — September 13, 2010 @ 2:11 pm

tnks for sharing

7. Tastes of Home (Jen) — September 13, 2010 @ 3:49 pm

this is a great idea – homemade anchovies powder is definitely better than store bought!

• wiffy replied: — September 13th, 2010 @ 10:44 pm

definitely! no MSG, for a start!

8. Shirley — September 13, 2010 @ 5:26 pm

woohoo, this recipe gives me an idea of how to make another kind of porridge with powdered anchovies for my son! thanks

• wiffy replied: — September 13th, 2010 @ 10:45 pm

yes I know this powdered anchovies are very popular with kids. Tasty and all-natural seasoning :)

9. Judy — September 13, 2010 @ 8:23 pm

The ikan bilis powder comes in handy. I use this to cook porridge for my grandkids when they began to eat solids. I also use the powder to make cookies and muffins.
    It’s good of you to share this. It’s useful to those who are starting out in the kitchen.

• wiffy replied: — September 13th, 2010 @ 10:46 pm

wah! great to hear that a savoury seasoning like this can be used for cookies and muffins. looks like it’s really very versatile :D

10. Nate @ House of Annie — September 13, 2010 @ 10:15 pm

I need to get one of those Magic Bullet blenders!