Ikan Bilis Stock
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Ikan Bilis (Anchovies) Stock Recipe
Ikan bilis come in vary degrees of saltiness depending on the type you buy and as a general guide, I recommend rinsing them in two changes of water before use; but if your ikan bilis is the extra-salty variety, you may need another 1-2 rinses. At the same time, do not over-rinse the ikan bilis or the stock will taste bland.
- 100 grams ikan bilis (anchovies/江鱼仔)
- 2 litres of water
- 6 red dates (optional)
- 1 slice ginger (optional)
- Rinse ikan bilis in two changes of water depending on the saltiness.
- In a pot, bring water to boil. Add ikan bilis, red dates and ginger. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Using a slotted ladle, remove ikan bilis, red dates and ginger. Strain the broth through a sieve. When the broth has cooled, transfer to a storing container.
Noob Cook Tips:
- Keep in fridge (covered) for a few days.
- If you cannot finish using the stock, store it in an air tight, freeze-safe container in the freezer. Do not re-freeze once thawed, hence store in volumes which you can use at one go (you can even store them as ice cubes).
- You may also use disposable soup stock pouches to hold the ikan bilis, for convenience (discard them after cooking).