Snowskin Mooncakes Recipe Birthday Mee Sua (Longevity Noodles) Recipe Mum's Egg Mee Sua Recipe Traditional Baked Mooncakes Recipe Ottogi Korean Cheese Ramen Foochow Red Wine Mee Sua Recipe

Honey Baked Chicken Wings

honey baked wings

These Chinese-style chicken wings tasted deliciously like bbq chicken wings and were cooked the fuss-free way, entirely in the oven. The marinade ingredients – honey, oyster sauce, sesame oil and soy sauce – are pantry staples in a Chinese kitchen. The secret to great tasting oven grilled chicken wings, to me, is to rest the chicken pieces on a wire rack so that the excess oil can drip onto a foil-lined tray beneath (see photo of oven set up on page 2). Otherwise, the part of the chicken touching the roasting tray will be soggy and oily.

You May Also Like: Honey Mustard Chicken Wings

Although they are baked/roasted in the oven, these wings have a beautiful sticky glaze due to cameralisation of the honey.  We always fight over the last few pieces at the dinner table.

honey baked wings

56 Responses to “Honey Baked Chicken Wings”

1. baking scientist — November 8, 2012 @ 6:18 pm

Thanks for this superb and easy recipe! My daughter finished all the 4 wings and told me it is very yummy! :)

2. Rena — December 4, 2012 @ 1:27 pm

Hi Noobcook,
    My new oven have upper and lower heat,was wondering
    Which heat should I choose for this honey baked chicken wings?

Thanks.
    Rena

• wiffy replied: — December 26th, 2012 @ 3:40 pm

You can choose the upper heat, put the rack somewhere in the middle so that they can cook evenly.

3. Lily Ko — July 23, 2013 @ 8:11 pm

My children love your honey baked wings. I gonna going to bake it again. BTW did u try baking green tea butter cake? Do I have any recipe?

• wiffy replied: — July 24th, 2013 @ 11:28 am

Hi, I am sorry, but I do not have any recipe for green tea butter cake.

4. M — September 19, 2013 @ 5:51 pm

Hi,

Thanks for putting up this recipe! Your website is full of doable recipes and lovely pictures.

I just tried baking these wings and found that the chicken skin was browning really fast. At about 10 mins, they started charring. At 15 mins, they were really black :( My oven was set to 200C.

Just checking if it’s possible that the wings may actually have been done at 10mins?? Seems rather quick to me.

• wiffy replied: — September 19th, 2013 @ 10:05 pm

Hi! Sorry to hear that. Are you using an air fryer? Because if it’s an air fryer, I know it will take about 15 mins for 180°C. If you are using a regular oven, maybe your oven tray is placed very near the heating coils. That may explain why they char so quickly. As an indication, eyeball the wings and once they start to turn golden, you can take them out to check if they are cooked (insert a skewer and if there is no blood, the wings are ready).

• M replied: — September 27th, 2013 @ 8:33 am

Thanks for your reply wiffy. Just checking if the oven temp (200C) you stated was with or without fan? My oven is a convection oven and it was set at 200C with fan forced function on.

• wiffy replied: — October 7th, 2013 @ 3:52 pm

mine is with fan. Every oven is different (and needs calibration) so please adjust according to your experience.

5. Kenneth Sim — October 6, 2013 @ 3:08 pm

Got my 6 yr old son to make the marination following the recipe. Next instruct him to pour the wings into the tray and left them overnight in the fridge. Oven roasted the wings the next day and they were heavenly!keeping this recipe for life!

• wiffy replied: — October 7th, 2013 @ 3:53 pm

Your son is a smart boy! Glad to hear they are well received :)

6. Lynn — October 8, 2013 @ 1:22 am

Attempted this afternoon, tasted quite bland… perhaps :
    1. Should the chix wings be marinated overnight?
    2. Is there a specific type of honey for cooking?
    3. No oyster sauce at home, replaced with Abalone sauce, and
    4. Type of oven used is also a factor?

• wiffy replied: — October 8th, 2013 @ 11:53 am

For #3, not very sure how salty your abalone sauce was, and how much you substituted for the oyster sauce. But that could be the likely reason. Also, did you weigh and measure all the ingredients? I have made these many times and it’s unlikely they are bland based on the quantities stated. I don’t think #1,2 and 4 are the reasons for bland taste.

7. jean — November 6, 2013 @ 1:13 pm

can i cook this using happycall pan ? :)

8. Jermaine — December 19, 2013 @ 10:01 am

Hi noobcook,
    Im abit concern about the honey part. wont the honey burn?

• wiffy replied: — December 19th, 2013 @ 12:25 pm

It will not if the timing is right. The honey gives the wings a lovely sticky glaze.

9. cindy — January 11, 2014 @ 12:54 pm

Hi

Where to buy wire rack? It is not selling in ntuc.

• wiffy replied: — January 15th, 2014 @ 11:59 am

try another outlet (usually bbq section); or daiso

10. Maureen — January 27, 2014 @ 11:00 pm

How do you make the chili sauce ? Or is it off the rack :)